Brown or Atlantic Salmon

Sorry Ray, this fish is an Atlantic Salmon. The end of it's mouth would be past the eye on a brown. The area between the tail and body would be much wider if it's a brown. The fin between the dorsal and the tail would be spotted if it's a brown and the black markings would be round on a brown.

http://www.fishcreeksalmon.org/atlantic-salmon-id.htm

Heluva nice Atlantic, Chinooker! :yes:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqGOUF9

well the hook on this fish that was called a brown by dec,proam checker,and everyone who saw it was as big or bigger ,,,also the pic i zoomed was the first pic with white fin on top and white tail and white fin on bottom and is fat all the way to the tail ,,,maybe just was lighter first cought and then got darker later on

Ray,

Your fish is a brown. The kipe on your fish is not as pronounced. The mouth closes on your fish and chinookers fish the mouth will not close. Look at the spots. Your fish has spots and Chinookers has x's. Look closely.

Next time look at the dental records. Browns and Atlantics often look the same BUT the teeth structure on the roof of their mouths is so completely different that a blind man could tell them apart.

Tom B

(LongLine)

ps. I vote Atlantic

HI I"M Will I'M pretty new to the site, however I would like to say as a taxidermist I would say NICE Atlantic!!! wow what a pig!!! there is a few sure ways to tell the difference

1 Atlantic's have generally 120 scales along the lateral line. a brownie will have a lot more if you still have the fish and time count them

2 look at the adipose fin. browns will have red or orange spots Atlantic are all black

anyway. Atlantic or brown. NICE fish!!!! i hope you put that on you wall.lol

Will

Chinooker, that is absolutely a fine trophy Atlantic! They love the South shore, as the Canadians say they just don't get 'em. There is a cost for those fine anglers to the north, for the OMNR turning their backs on the wildly successful Pacific program. On the other hand, we learned while we were over there that the anglers are encouraged to harvest the "yankee" Steelheads, as they are running south, and return their wild fish to the water.

That is a nice male Atlantic, no question on species ID. Great kype too.

While I'd agree with Capt. Vince that Atlantic's seem to like the south shore more based on so many reports on LOU, we are seeing more on the north shore comparred to the last 25 years. Still the constant issue of mis-identification occurs all the time. I've seen several browns at the cleaning station that were in fact Atlantics. I know several charters that have boated over 10 on the north shore.

Not sure what is meant by MNR turning their backs on chinooks? Ontario stocks the same number of chinooks we have for the past 15 years (OFAH stocked an extra 100k this year into Niagara since DEC numbers were down). However OFAH took over the main hatchery for a period starting in 2007. But much of the Ontario stocking of all the great lakes is done through fishing clubs rather than MNR. Our MNR's fish and wildlife budget funded through tax revenues is only $12 million. The remaining 70 million is funded through user fees. No question our politicians have got their heads in the sand over our fish and wildlife. At the same time there are a few mis-informed Ontarian's that seem to think by stocking Atlantic salmon the MNR is somehow hurting chinooks.

Tight lines,

John

I think the best thing you can do for the lake is to keep a variety of species in high numbers it makes for more fishing opportunites in more conditions and if somthing happens that one spieces has a real bad year something elese can boom preventing the fishing industry from taking a big hit and by the way I'm jealous of that atlantic my biggest ever was approx 10lbs caught in the river fought like hell it swam away and hopefully didnt get snagged and thrown on shore that year