Species Breakdown:Chinooks/Browns

Hot Lure:

Trolling Speed:1.8-2.2

Down Speed:

Boat Depth:60-90

Lure Depth: 30-60

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

For my first trip out on Lake Ontario, I had an absolute blast! We decided to go with rebel charters out of sandy creek, a great decision! Great people and very interesting to talk to! We ended up getting one small king to start and then hooked up on a great king which was jumping like crazy but he ended up shaking off. Then it was fairly slow and just got a few smaller fish on a mix of lead core, dipsys, and down riggers. The biggest and only brown was about 6 lbs and the biggest king boated hung right about the same. Thanks again to Jerry and Frank for a fantastic trip, can't wait to get back out there!

2010LakeOntarioFishing012.jpg

2010LakeOntarioFishing008.jpg

2010LakeOntarioFishing016_edited.jpg

Andy

====================

Tom,

one thing i found interesting is that after the weigh-in in sodus the dec officer admitted that not all salmon that are being caught with an adipose fin is wild. They said there is no way that they can get everyone and that some are missed.

Matt, that was a DEC Officer, not a DEC Biologist. While technically he is correct, the fish marking trailer has a better than 99% clip rate and the ones that didn't get clipped by the trailer were segregated and hand clipped, so while no one can say for sure it 100%, it is pretty darn close, probably no more than a couple hundred fish. So, honestly, it really is a very safe assumption that any small king with an unclipped adipose is a wild fish.

Tim

Interesting is the fact that whether those are wild or hatchery fish, both of those fish are crowding the inside and are "mature". They would be precocious jacks this fall. The biologists don't always agree why, but I have heard that if the food source is abundant you will see more of those representing the year class. They spawn and die and are almost always males. The theory is this happens to ensure propagation of the species in a wild setting should there be a low water year. If a smallish female makes it over the shallow riffles to adequate spawning water, there will be surplus males there too.

Of the 5 kings we kept, 2 didn't have a clip meaning they were pressumably wild. The DEC has found that about every 1/3 of the fish brought in to the pro am's throughout the year are unclipped or "'wild". Not bad figures are they are naturally producing! Wish I could have found out if any had snout tags...

Andy,

Thanks for the report & expertise! Scott Baker crew is ALWAYS a good time for me & crew. They understand conditions & tactics (fast to the rods also, BUT netting skills NEED WORK) Last trip with us they had 10 kings i believe over 20# on cut bait. So east wind conditions with bait fish EVAPORATING before our eyes was a tuff pull for us, best size fish seemed to pull hooks out today.

We kept carefull track/pictures of clipped kings & wild kings we kept & released. Without blowing someones cover we had a D.E.C. employee on board! VERY INTERESTING conversation.

P.S. Fisherwomen/out door type ladies one of these guy,s is SINGLE !!!!!!

Thanks again Andy/ Scott Baker crew, you guy's are welcome back anytime.

JERRY

RUNNIN REBEL