phishing on LOU

Ray,I hope that it is all that simple.

The fact is that somebody hacked into the membership file and ended up sending fake PMs, thereby gathering e-mail addresses and God knows what other information,possibly the credit card # that you use to pay your professional dues.

Maybe it is time to drastically strengthen the online safety precautions that this website uses.

Cornelis.

Just got a PM on the LOU website from m_ab asking for help in Sierra Leone. The name she uses is marriam abdullah , I guess she thought this is a phishing website , not a fishing site. LOL. Anyone else getting these PM's ?

I wish i could find these guys and run them down 130' on the rigger to see if their BS catches fish - LMAO

I received this message in my INBOX this morning

PLEASE SPARE 5-MINUTES

FROM YOUR SHEDULE TIME AND READ PLEASE !!!

URGENT!!!

From Mariam Abdullah,

This letter might come to you as a surprise since we have not had any previous corespondence. this is as a resault of the helpless situation i found myself in.

My name is Mariam Abdullah, i am 23 years old girl, from Sierra-Leone. i got your contact during my search for a reliable, capable and trusthworthy person that can assist me in this darkest moment i found my self, i lost my father, mother and two sisters in a car crash when our driver was about to drive across the railway without knowing that the train was already at that point with speed.

I am alive today, writting with tears of sorrow you because i was furtunate to be at home at the time of the accident.I was at home when i had an emergency call from a private hospital On that faithful afternoon, that i must come to the hospital immediately, i asked why? the doctor said i must come it is very immportant and urgent, i was shocked and rushed down to the hospital immediately, on getting there i saw my uncle he told me to have patient,looking straight to his eye's i knew that something has happened, i screemed with tears, oh my God where is my parent and my younger sisters i want to see them. after few minutes i was taken to the mortuary to see my two sisters and mother, i cried and cried where am i going to start from? my parent are gone i am finished. but I give almighty GOD the glory and thanks that my father did not die immediately.

He send a nurse to call his daughter mariam abdullah not knwwing i was there already, i went straight to his room looking at him eye to eye i could not beleive what i saw, oh my God.My father was crying he called me my name and told me that he has something to tell me, that i must follow all what he told i fell concerned that he want to die, he said i should not worry that God is with me, he then told that he deposited the sum of Nine Million,United State Dollars. USD ($9,000.000.00) left in fixed / suspense account in one of the prime bank in Abidjan the economic capital of Cote d' Ivoire.That the money was meant for his diamond and Gold company he wanted to establish in Tunisia. as if he knew he was going to die. He instructed me to seek for a reliable and trust worthy business partner for my life time investment abroad.

Now I have succeeded in locating the deposit documents and the bank where this money was deposited in Abidjan,Cote d`Ivoire. you may wonder why i am so soon telling you all this,even without seeing you or knowing you fully well,please i want you to take it serious and keep it secret between me and you because my life is now in danger, please help me.

My uncle has seized all my late father's properties of which he want me to provide every other documents related to my late father's bank deposit I refused. Now my life is in a very big danger, For this reason I have to look for my safety and security pending my coming over to meet you immediately after the transfer to your account.I am now in Abidjan where the money was deposited.

Now my uncle is going around Cote D'ivoire looking for me to collect all the documents that covers this money , note that my father told me that I should not give it to any body or show it to any body but it should be the someone that I trust who will help me to retrieve the money.

Due to political problem in my country and since am the only person left in my family,

I seek your assistance in the following ways

1.) To provide a bank where this money can be transferred into.

2.) To make arrangements for me to come over to your country after the successful tranferring of this money into your account, to come and futher my education.

3.) To help me invest this money in a profitable business since i am only 23yrs of age and do not know about business.

4.)To sponsor transfer this money into your account.

5.)I want you to promise me that you are not going to betray me after the money gets into your account.

We must do these with trust, I am willing to offer you 20% of the total fund if only you can help me out of my present predicament.

To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my education and to secure a resident permit in your country,I await your immediate response to know what to do next please help me. i shall give you more detail after i here from you.

I wait for your urgent reply

please don't forget to reply me at my private email address

God Bless You,

Yours Mariam Abdullah

I got another one from the same character,now using a slightly different name,this time with a full blown Nigerian scheme as in letter,bank account and what not.

Now the handle he uses is A M_A B

Ray,I hope that it is all that simple.

The fact is that somebody hacked into the membership file and ended up sending fake PMs, thereby gathering e-mail addresses and God knows what other information,possibly the credit card # that you use to pay your professional dues.

Maybe it is time to drastically strengthen the online safety precautions that this website uses.

Cornelis.

Cornelis,

To clarify, this is not a hack on the website by any means. It is ironically known as "Forum Phishing". This is someone from overseas that is hired very cheaply to create an account on the website and the send out PMs. Your email addresses and all other information is never shared and is as secure as can be. We don't store any credit card info as that is all handled by PayPal. I'd be happy to explain in even greater detail if you need.

The suggestion of "drastically strengthening" the security of website is comical in that the site has never had any issues of hacking in the past several years of any kind. So it would be very hard to drastically improve upon a 100% security track record. Understand that this is a real person who created the account and then went through manually to random members and click on SEND PM button and copied the same text over and over again. Hope this clarifies.

Is spam a security threat?

No. While spammers may seem like they are breaking through your defenses, they actually don't do anything that a regular users couldn't do (register, post, send private messages, etc). Spam is therefore not a vulnerability and should not be considered as such.

For more information see the following link FAQ's:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1861645

Thanks again -

Chad