Twill Tips for wire Dipsey rods

• 2 weeks later...
We bought ones for our wire rods last year but the original tips are still good, we won't put the twilli tips on until the wire eats up the original tips.

....just a thought. If you wait until the wire eats up the rod tip, at what point does the worn tip starts to nick, chafe, scratch, fry the wire? I've heard others say the same thing and often wondered when things start to melt down :shock: .

I figured that if a special tip was designed to aid in the life expectancy of the wire then the sooner put on the better. Did I pull off perfectly good rod tips for nothing? :(

Maybe someone can set us straight on the effects of standard tips vs twilli tips vs roller tips when using wire line and what way is the best to go.

stinger,

we are new to wire recently and the rods have only one full season on them, probably 20 - 30 trips where we used them and probably only 100 hours of actual use. The original heartland tips still look brand new without any nicks or burrs on them yet. As soon as we see the tips getting grooved or cut then we will replace them.

I would guess the older members could give more insight on the life expectancy of the original tips.

A point to think about is the wire leaving the rod tip. With the regular tip the wire is bending at a hard close to 90 degree bend or more, with the twilly tip, the harsh bend at the tip is greatly reduced. Gotta be alot easier on the wire, and wire is alot more expensive than rod tips.

Being in the rod building business I have a couple of preferences. I personally like roller guides over standard guides. Some of the testing we have done shows that they are slightly smoother and have a little less friction than regular guides. Regular guides, which are typically aluminum oxide, are subject to varying friction due to moisture or temperature differences. The differences are slight but may make all of the difference in the world when a king smashes that dipsy rig! No matter what reel you use, the guides play a major part in the net effective drag that the fish is pulling against. That being said, we still make a ton of wire rods with regular guides that stand up to years and years of abuse.

My other preference is to use twilly tips, even over roller tip-tops. When stowing or rigging, they always act as a little shock absorber, help keep the wire tight and minimize potential kinks.

I use 7 foot roller rods on my boat, they are much easier to handle and are much more easier for landing fish. You can land fish a lot quicker and with less effort with the short rods. Would you rather hold a 10 pound weight at the end of a 10 foot pole or a 7 foot pole? I know my wife, kids, (and me) would pick the shorter one every time!