wellesley island in aug.

jaychunter

we will be campin there for the week of the 22nd and plan on fishin for toothy fish and bass . can any one give a report and some info in where to start and what depths to stat at .. never fished there before so any info would be great . have tackle for all fished mentioned , we plan on trollin and driftin to ..

get over to eel bay at first and last light for all the pike you can stand. fish the patches of taller weeds around the islands. for bigger pike work the north side of wellesy in any of the nooks and crannys. any bait will work there at that time of year. if you have kids with you use bass minnows at the north edge of the bay for a nice mix of pike and bass. you can also go through the rift(be careful) into lake of the isles. lots of bucketmouths in there. or go out of the lake around the point to your right towards the castle. you can hammer mid size pike north of the castle,plus you can get coffee there and your wife can use the bathroom.

I fished the river yesterday morning ( as I do most mornings)at Alexandria Bay. Early morning the bass were chasing bait up to the surface in 12-28 fow. I trolled Shad raps and caught a couple bass and a decent walleye. After the sun got up the fish went deeper and I was catching smallmouth in 50-70 fow. Also caught a nice walleye on a jigging spoon.

The smallmouth often are deep this time of year and I've caught them as deep as 120'. Usually 60-90' where there is current and a change in depth. You can drift with 1 ounce weights and use crabs, minnows or worms but gobbies will gobble the worms. You can also use plastics on the same rigs. Even at those depths they will grab 4" Senkos but you need to get them near the bottom. Jigging spoons are effective . I use 1 1/2 oz. and snap jig as I control drift with my trolling motor this is a very effective way to cover an area and is effective for smallmouth and walleyes.

Largemouth fishing in Lake of the Isles and Eel Bay is generally good. Fish in 12-14 fow. There are also many small pike there. Generally you can catch largemouths in this shallower water with plastics, spinner baits or poppers (early in the morning) Look for holes or pockets in the weeds or fish just off the weed edge. Also try near shore in the slop with Frog baits.

For smaller pike try the same spots. Erratic retrieving a Long A Bomber, and Mepps spinners work here. To get larger pike I'd try the deep edge off the weed beds near drop offs. Drifting live bait works well as does casting jig.

The fishing is starting to crank up and you shouldn't have much trouble catching lots of fish this time of year.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from camping at Wellesley Island and I got out a few times. The pike we caught were all near structure of some sort. Casting open flats didn't produce anything. The pike seemed to be hanging around rocks and shoals that were surrounded by flats. In Eel Bay, we got a few off the shoals on the west side near Canoe Point State Park. Also off the opening of Delaney Bay on the north side of Grindstone Island. Also found a few in Blind Bay close to Watch Island. White spinerbaits caught the most with a few on medium depth crankbaits.

For Largemouth, we found them around some of the deeper docks and off rock ledges right near shore. Didn't have any luck in the shallow slop, reeds or lilly pads. Spinnerbaits produced the most. Hope this helps.

9nqwi.jpg

Hey Jay,

I was there 4 days last weekend. The info above is very good....follow it and you'll do fine. Watch the Canadian line, there is not much American water on that side of the Island. I spent 8 years up there, but had not been to the Islands in the last few years. It was great getting back there!!

No leaders with the spinnerbaits but I was using spiderwire braid which can handle a little bit of abuse. Even though I've lost pike before without a leader, I didn't bother with one.

Depth was anywhere from 4 feet to 12 feet but always around some kind of structure, weed line or ledge.