Keuka Jigging 8/1/10

Well, after the luck we had last week, I found my way back down to Keuka for the weekend. While I had a punch list of chores to do at our cabin, I was able to sneak out for a couple hours last night before dark with my wife and then again this morning solo for a bit. Was able to find some fish but nothing as consistant as last weekend. I went 1 for 2 last evening and found the couple strikes I had were a ways off the bottom and appeared to be suspended fish. This morning was much the same but had problems with the dropping fish. I got several what I thought were good hooksets into fish only to have them come unbuttoned after a few head shakes and rolls. The one fish I did land today was a surprise that hit maybe about 20-30 ft. below the boat on a retrieve. The fish fish immediately headed to the top after being hooked and as the line approached the surface I expected to see a bright silver landlock or rainbow hurl into the air. Well, the fish got airborne alright, but it was bronze and not silver! Managed to lip him at the boat and get some quick measurements of him. Was between 21 and 22", my largest smallmouth yet. After that the sun got higher and I called it a morning.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

After seeing your success on Keuka a buddy and I headed to Canadice and gave jigging a try. Like you I got 3-4 good hooksets and had the fish come off shortly after wa wa waaaaaaa but right before we were packing it up for the day, bam I got a strike and landed my first laker! And out of the kayak made it even better now I want to bring a monster up form the deep! I got to get some jigging spoons to try.

It is pretty addicting isn't it?

I have been using these spoons from Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21404-cat21406-cat21436&id=0037369121690a&navCount=1&podId=0037369&parentId=cat21436&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21436&hasJS=true

I have been doing well with the glow color. The jointed model have a great action to them and for the price right now you can't beat them. I have been fishing the 1 and 1.5 ounce models but picked up a couple 2 oz. ones in case there is a breeze....

I went 1 for 2 last evening and found the couple strikes I had were a ways off the bottom and appeared to be suspended fish. This morning was much the same but had problems with the dropping fish.

Here's what those fish were doing...

zQt69.jpg

827ri.jpg

MBc19.jpg

Glad to see talk about jigging. I've been Butterfly jigging in the salt for several years now and have just plain cleaned up. I have, over the poast 3 years, been carrying over the technique over to the fresh and it's been working like a charm. Worked an outdoor writer event in May out of Lewiston and we abused the Lakers and managed a Steelhead, and Atlantic and a Chinook as well as a few Smallie's. We were using the Shimano Butterfly jigs in the 55gr size. Our big fish was just over 25 pounds!

i1GNS.jpg

JG7T0.jpg

Hey Jeff,

That is some great stuff out West in the spring, isn't it? I think I saw more guys this year than in any past, and I think that the enthusiasm is building. The Finger Lakes are consistently good for vertical presentations...I grew up there and nobody fished vertical except with sawbellies back in the '70s and '80s...or I just wasn't in the loop :)

If you happen to post any video online, throw us the link please, either salt or fresh. :Thanks.

Gator

The technique has worked well on Owasco, Skateateles and Cayuga as well for me. As for the dropped fish that some have had issues with, you need to dump the trebles and use an assist hook up at the top of your vertical jig. These are a single hook attached to Spectra or some other type of cordage. This gives you a good hook up percentage but a greatly improved landing ratio. When you attach this to the top of the lure, the weight of the lure pulls the hook into the fish during the fight and keeps your fish hooked up. A treble or single at the bottom is constantly getting bumped by the lure, knocking it out of the fishes jaw. We have also had luck targeting salmon in open water around bait schools.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

If you are not familiar with an assist rig, here is a link to one for reference.

http://www.mustad.no/catalog/product.php?id=2198