Pond on 531

My buddy and I have fished a pond on route 531 twice the past week and we have caught approximately 45 -50 keeper largemouth each time. Both times consisted of about 2 hours of fishing. Most are about .5 to .75 lbs, but we did catch one 4lb 14oz. and a few that were a little smaller. We have used black or dark green senkos hooked wacky style. We also caught many smaller ones too.

I know what you mean. I have gone there several times, but actually haven't seen anyone keeping anything. Went there this past weekend and caught very little. I was a little late getting out . The deer flies carried us away.

Ive seen it first hand from a pond near spencerport. Years ago before catch and release we kept a few slobs over 6 lbs from a small farm pond and the pond went downhill from there. It was never the same. These ponds are very fickle and you can disrupt the whole ecosystem by keeping a few big breeders. My advise is to release them all, go get your meal at a restaurant. These fish have problably not reached their potential yet and anyways as they were stocked not too long ago. The season is also currently closed as well.

I live in spencerport and drive past those ponds all the time! I have tried fishing them once or twice in the past but the weeds are so thick, how do you get a cast in? Maybe its not as bad as it was when I tried it out.

There was many weeds you would need a boat to get off the edge of them, I see people takin buckets out of there alot, even last week! Not sure what was in them but im sure it wasnt live bait. :?

Jax

I would never keep any fish out of a pond with all the runoff from farmers fields, etc. The weeds are getting worse lately, but that pond is quite deep. I actually target holes in the weed beds or cast out past the weeds. That seems to be where the larger fish are.

I know many of the migrants who work for the area farmers go there and take out fish in buckets. They don't understand the impact.

speaking of buckets.... My son goes to school in Arizona and called me the other day telling me while he was fishing there was a guy using a snag hook to snag 2 giant 7 and 9 lb Largemouth off the beds and he had them in a bucket. He convinced the jerk to let 1 go but he was keeping the other. My son flagged a cop down as he was leaving and told the cop. Hopefully he did something. Jerks where ever you go....