Looking down carb you see fuel dripping in not atomized

FLXTroutman

So I was at the marina and the mechanic there showed me how my carb is dripping fuel down the throttle, he said it should be atomized and this is what is causing my plugs to foul, less rpm's at WOT and occasional misfire if I dump it quick. I just and looking for someone to concur. If it needs a carb rebuild, is this something that is not too difficult to accomplish or are there many little springs and parts that would drive me crazy trying to figure out. Money is tight, so if I can do it myself all the better, she still runs ok but I don't want to keep replacing plugs or cause any more issues due to not fixing the main problem which I can see is....Looking down carb you see fuel dripping in not atomized

Dear FLX.... It's time to rebuild the marine Q-Jet. One I examined last week on a charter boat had the same problem. Two of the internal emulsion tubes in the float bowl had to be reinstalled and staked properly. Not a job for the faint of heart. Tom Toal of Ontario, NY did it up fine. Customer was very happy!!

Sincerely,

.......................Jet Boat Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know that this is 3 weeks after the fact, but something that should be considered is oil dilution. A few yrs ago a friend had a marine 454 that the Carb Float had sunk on. In the early stages it is like yours, just dripping over the wall of the carb and would foul the plugs with rough running and black smoke being the results.. As it got worse, fuel ran into the intake and flooded the cylinders running past the rings into the crankcase diluting the oil. Gas is a lousy lubricant. And a crankcase full of it is even worse. I would strongly recommend that the oil be changed especially if it is reading over the full mark on the dipstick.

This guy was lucky and the motor was still in warranty and he got a complete crate engine from Merc Cruiser.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...