Sodus 8/4/10 nice Brownie and boat issues

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Went out of Sodus Wednesday morning and went out too deep early and too shallow later but managed to land a couple. First fish landed was about 8:30 AM on a Magnum Size NBK or similar lure. Got the fish to the top of the water and it was a Pig Brown weighing in at 12 1/2 pounds. He was 35 down over 65 feet of really warm 72 degree water at the ball. A little later we also managed one more 5 or 6 lb Brownie on a similar type spoon in the same water 45 down.

We decided to start heading out deep around 10 AM and of course my boat stalls 2 miles off shore. I radio'd to ask for advise and received help from several guys out on the lake. When my boat died, there was not one single boat within 2 or 3 miles that I could see. Finally got ahold of the Coast Guard on channel 16 after 15 minutes only to be interrogated... They would have come out if push came to shove but they were not exactly volunteering to help. I called Krenzers Marina and they were very nice. They contacted the Sheriff's Department and the Sheriff's Department contacted me by cell phone. The deputy that was working was really nice and really helpful and acted like he was really happy to be out to help. They came out, towed me back to the launch and were very professional and courteous ... my hat's off to those guys.

The Sheriff's Deputy told me if this ever happens again that I should just call 911. He said it is much easier and faster than trying to reach them on the radio.

Two that we caught:

5ZdxA.jpg

xfFpJ.jpg

Nice fish! Sucks about the boat, but I thought you may enjoy this. I was heading out a few minutes ago with my daughter when we got to the end of the chute and we saw the coast guard boat being towed in by the coast guard aux., I had to laugh!

Good Luck!

Chaz

skOZi.jpg

breMS.jpg

nice fish. About a month ago I was stuck out on the lower niagara in a stalled boat for several hours with my dad and brother at about 10pm to about 130 am. Nobody would stop and we didnt have a radio and my brothers phone and my phone both died....no kicker that night. finally a cnadian boated with a little 14 foot 40 horse motor towed us back to lewiston. The ignition switch wasnt making contact when you turned the key...but the engine cranked over, just no start. I heard it was very expensive for a tow into port and that the sherriff/ coast guard/border patrol wouldnt do it...guess well have to call 911 next time and see.

The boat is fixed and of course the mechanic misdiagnosed it. It ended up being a bad coil on the #3 cylinder which causes the #1 and #2 not to fire. Changed coil and runs like a champ. Got out to Oswego this weekend and the bigger Coast Guard boat was towing in the Sheriff's boat....lots of boat issues for everyone I guess. Didn't catch a thing out of Oswego. I'm starting to think that Port is not for me. I have been skunked every time I have been there this year. 3 hits but no takers.

Also...installed my brand new 4 stroke Yamaha 20HP kicker before going out and cannot be happier. That thing is quiet and burns almost no fuel. It is also nice having some piece of mind with that extra motor mounted on the back!

:yes: on the backup kicker! Also, Boat US has freshwater tow insurance for about $15. I haven't had to use it yet, but figure as long as I have it the boat prob won't break down ;)

It also amazes me on a weekday that the coast guard won't come out to help. I know it's not their responsibility... but I can't imagine most days they have anything better to do... and if an emergency happens while they're towing you in... they detach and they're just that much closer to helping the other person on the lake out. When we got the new boat, first trip out the lower drive blew... coast guard came over, literally laughed at us and left... luckily the DEC boat was there too, called the CG a bunch of jerks and towed us in :) (The kicker was at the repair shop as I learned the importance of using Stabil prior to winterizing a kicker :( )

Nick