Rod for Copper?

Hey Copper Trollers,

I am looking to set up a rig for trolling copper on Cayuga without breaking the bank. So for I have collected a Cabelas DM45 linecounter reel for $30 on sale, a 300' spool of 45lb copper, and some 50lb powerpro for backing. For the rod I am hoping to use something I already have laying around my garage. I have three rods sitting around and not getting much use right now. They are:

1) 8'6" downrigger rod - M action, softer tip

2) 9' dipsy diver rod - M action, more backbone

3) 6'6" MH trolling rod

Which of these rods would be best suited to trolling copper? I plan to mostly run the copper down the chute, but I'll probably use it with planer boards as well sometimes.

Thanks,

Matt

I got two thoughts; 1. If you are really gonna run the rod down the chute most of the time then you'll be better off w/ a longer rod b/c it will lift the line out of the fish landing zone behind the boat and minimze conflicts w/ a fish on the riggers.So, looking at it from that angle, the dipsy rod would probably be best. 2. On the other hand I would encourage you to run the 300' out to the side on either big boards (my preference) or a Church Walleye inline board. You will be happier overall w/ the wider spread and minimal conflicts that come w/ running cores and coppers out on boards as opposed to all the b.s. possibilities associated w/ chute lines. For running the 300' off boards, I'd go w/ the 6'6" MH. I use6'6" Ugly Stiks for rigger rods on Ontario and I really like them. Just to let you know you can get a 7' Okuma Classic leadcore/copper rod for about $29.

P.S. I'm not familiar w/ the DM 45 reel, but I'm somewhat concerned that it won't hold the amount of line you are talking about & I also think you may experience problems getting the copper to mono leader junction thru the eye of the level wind.I use Penn reels for my copper setups, they are very rugged. Not trying to bum you out, just my 2 cents!

Thanks for the input chowder. Getting the copper / leader connection through the levelwind is not something I even thought about. What type of connection do you like to use there? Albright knot? Inline swivel? Something else?

- Matt