first time going out of olcott

blue chrome frog spin doctor probobally put a green hammer fly on put my wonder bread dipsy

black/green chrome spin doctor

mt. dew spin doctor green or aqua hammer fly behind a chrome dipsy

crazy **** spin doctor

green crush spin doctor mirage or other white fly behind a chrome dipsy

a maroon/glow spin doctor plan to pair up with a bloody death fly behind a metalic pink tiger color dipsy

I have 4 protroll flashers mt dew crush and whites/glow. I also have a bunch of spoons just no riggers or copper yet.

I have many DW spons and michigan spoons magnum sized in the blue killer and pink killer and nuclear greens. plus glow colored spoons.

I know i have a mix match of gear but I am just getting started and finally making my first trip out onto the lake tomorrow morning. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated...maybe a starting point. I am thinking starting straight out of the harbor in 80 foot and head west. Ill be in a green pickup in a black and white thompson boat if you see me down there stop by. thanks in advance ill let you know how i make out tomorrow night.

-Eric

The NW winds today will usually push the warm surface water into shore where it tumbles and mixes uniform warm temps deep. If you start inside, drop your baits deep near the bottom. If you head out in a NW heading, you will want to start raising your baits as you go. By the time you hit 300', think about the 40-60' band of water primarily. If you don't have a speed and temp, a good indicator of temp is where the bait is showing out there. Good luck.

First year at the O also and I'll tell you it's addicting. I'm still having issues with Spin Doctors and have yet to land a fish on them. Tried various flasher/fly combinations and lead length to the flies, but no fish yet, only a few knock-offs. Once you get that first "viscous" hit and the line starts ripping, you'll be hooked too. Don't forget the sliders, cause they've done well by me. Last trip up a week ago, bright green spoons of various patterns did the trick.

thanks for the info guys. I went out this morning, headed out deep to find that my depth/fishin finder is junk and doesnt for for crap over 85 feet. It started flashing 12.7 ft about a mile out. When i got a bit farther out and stopped for a minute it started working so i continued out to about 400 feet. Now I am out in the middle of nowhere and it was really choppy out there in a 21 foot boat. I set out a green killer spin dr with a green fly and another line both on dipsys and after seeing no fish i was pretty bummed and getting sea sick and so was the wife after about 20 minutes my green setup went off and peeled off about 50 feet of line and i grabbed it and handed it to my wife. it was a coho about 6 lbs. I was blown away that we caught something so fast without seeing fish or any boats we set up again and trolled another half hour and it was getting to bad for the little boat and we were not feeling great we traveled toward olcott. We hit about 200 feet and stopped because we were feeling better...set out a few lines...got 2 lines tangled....lost a setup to the propeller and was a bit mad and getting sick again but sent out another line and 15 20 min later we got a biteI grabbed the line and reeled in a little king about 7 or 8lbs. Both fish were caught about 30-40 feel down about 100 feet behind the boat with braided line. I finally realized i wasnt seeing any fish out deep untill i got in to 85 feet of water and my finder started working again and lit up with fish. I am very surprised we caught anything today basically fishing in the dark with no fish finder, speed/ temp sensor, no radio. We fished a totall of about 2 hours but spent 4 on the water.

thanks i will check it out. It is an old fish finder probly at least 10 years old. It went funny heading out t 85 feet and started up again coming in around 85 foot. kinda weird but i didnt know if it was not powerfull enough to get the depth in that deep of water and not pick up ANY fish when it was working or atleast giving me a depth. I find it hard to beleive I wasnt going over any fish and still managed to get 2 quick after seting my lines.

don't be discouraged by not seeing any thing out deep we fish all day and 99 percent of the fish we catch you don't mark anyways. You are looking for pods of bait fish once you start working those you'll find fish. I fished Saturday and most likley steelhead were busting bait on the surface pretty cool. :o