R.A.M. metal tube rod holders

I had a RAM rod tube snap off at the base, while trolling last week at sandy. I heard a sick sounding snap,then splash,as my penn 345 gt,daiwa 9.5 ft heartland , and 600 feet of copper ,ram tube rod holder ,hit the water never to be seen again!!I was in 100 fow with 200 ft of copper out fishin' a flasher/fly....BUMMER. I havn't heard back from them yet if they have had trouble with their metal tube bases. All that was left was the little round pancake base ,with the jagged edge break where the base "ball" used to be . I checked 2 other bases on the same style ram tubes on my boat,and their seems to be some issues with them also . The black paint finish is completely gone, only right there at the bottom of the ball,where it connects to the pancake base. There seems to be a line,or ring around that neck area and possibly starting to crack, or separate. I was wondering if anybody else has had any problems with these rod holders .They are only a couple years old......steve

Now that its too late penn has a reel support that has an extra hole for a rod teather. I use a dog leash on my dipsie rods. Clip it into the extra hole on the reel seat. A lot cheaper that the rod and reel set. Get some heaver rod holders. :yes:

I have them for planer board rods and I like them for that because they are quick to adjust. I sometimes will stick a downrigger rod it them if I need to move rods around to open up the back to net a fish. I don't put anything in them with much stress on it though. I'll have to take a look at them to see if I can see any potential future problems coming.

Big Dave... K gone , i use both the berts ratchets (4) and the ram tubes (4)....i like them both for different reasons,infinate adjustability on the rams i really liked, but i am not liking them much right now!! As far as the tether goes,i usually fasten it to the bottom of the rod holder base,which snapped right off, so i would have lost the rod/reel and tether anyway. I guess i will order a couple more heavier duty berts ratchets. Mickey Finn (luv that name, and luv the streamer too!) I would check out your bases real carefully,right where the ball necks down to the flat base(about 1/8 th inch up from the flat pancake base on the "neck". I would appreciate it if you could let me know how your's look...any paint missing and possibly starting to seperate or crack etc....thanks in advance.......steve

I'll look at the 2 older one I have on my boat. I just added a 3rd for my sub troll attached to a rail. However none are for rod holders. I do have 2 ram hod holders but they are rail mounts. if you like infinate adjustability. you gotta check out the Cisco tubes. best rod holder on the planet. I have 3 triples per side and cradles.

I talked withe R.A.M. quality control today...about the seperation of the base and "ball", he said that the molds connect there ,and they have had failures at that "joint" , but it happens only occasionally,HmmmmmThey were real nice ,and apologized for the lost rod/reel, tackle and rod holder, and they are gonna' replace the rod tube free of charge. I will be replacing all the Ram's with some heavier duty tubes real soon. I can't fully trust them for lake O fishing now. Good luck to all that have them,and i hope none of you LOU guys don't have a "mold joint failure" like i had......... steve