Sodus - 8/7-8/8 - Fishing still terrible

Fishing remains downright lousy out of Sodus.

Friday and Saturday morning were too rough to fish.

Saturday evening: fished from 150fow to 550fow. Had 60+ degrees down 100' all the way out. We managed a 10lb male atlantic (huge hooked jaw) off the 500' copper in 190fow with a blue dolphin spinny and green/blue fly. We hit a real nice steelie out at 350fow on an oranage holographic spoon (no idea of the manuf) on a free slider off our 95' rigger. I'd guess the steelie was 10+lbs, but we lost it right behind the boat. We had another small steelie on the same setup out in 450fow. We also managed two small kings (one the same exact size of the spoon) down 120' on a purple frog. There were a lot of big hooks out in the deep water, but they wouldn't budge.

Sunday: We held off going out a bit to see if the wind would calm down and the rain would pass. The rain stopped and we figured we'd give it a try. While the waves were only 1-2', they were pounding HARD and we had trouble trolling any direction other than North. Really wasn't much fun and the fish still weren't biting well. We did one 5lb brown down 120' over 190fow on a green frog and took a shot on a kevorkian down 95' over 210fow. We only lasted an two N/S passes (about 1.5 hrs) before we weren't enjoying the lake any longer. With the strong south wind we would have expected the cool water to have moved up... it didn't. We had a lot of large hooks in the 40' range though, but they wouldn't budge.

All weekend we only heard of one 15lber being caught out deep (450fow) saturday evening, and one screamer lost on a deep wire diver Sunday afternoon. With all the big hooks out in 5-600 fow, my guess is the kings are out there either moving past Sodus or waiting to come in. If it ever gets calm enough for long enough, that's where I'll be heading.

Nick