Aluminum offshore boat suggestions

hawkeye625

It's my 2nd year fishing lake ontario and can see it's going to be a life long obsession. It takes me about 5 hours to get to the lake and I fish Erie as well so I'm looking for a trailerable boat. My open bow 19 footer is on the small side and limits me to 1 to 3 foot waves, even that is BUMPY.

From what I've seen many like the Starcraft Islander. I've also seen a fair amount of Sylvan offshores and a couple of Crestliner Sabres at the lake. I'm looking for pros and cons of each or just what you guys think in general of these boats or any others of the same type.

How do these boats handle larger waves? And where is a good place to find one reasonable. Seems like the Sabres cost a bit more, any reason? I know they have the welded Hull, but are there other reasons?

Thanks

Jeff

I will say this. If you end up getting an Islander go with the outboard. I had two friends that had them, one with an outboard and one with an I/O. The I/O rode like crap in any kind of waves, guessing it was because of the extra wieght in the rear. My buddy with the outboard has no problem going out in 3-5's.

I kind of like aluminum boat to fish out of. I still wouldn't own one, but they are nice to fish out of.

Jeff

I have had 2 Sabres a 22' Greatlakes with a 175hp v6 IO and my current boat - a 20' Greatlakes with an SST transom , 120 hp Outboard and a 9.9 4stroke kicker.

I have also fished with several friends that own Islanders or Sylvans of the same vintage.

The big differences I saw when I was initally shopping back in the later 80's was that the Sabre was all welded ,considerbly heavier than the other two and the 30" gunnal height made the boat very comfy when setting rods in nasty waves.

All three of the ones you mentioned fished fine but I believe the Sabre was the best . Of course with the extra weight comes less gas efficiency and also requires some heavier towing capabilities

Ted

You mention pros and cons of several notable boats, but I think that one of the best aluminum boats out there is Lund. I own a Mr. Pike 17' for Finger Lakes fishing and if I were to purchase an aluminum boat for Lake Ontario I'd certainly consider a Lund such as the 24' Baron Magnum (not in production currently, I think) with an I/O and integrated kicker. While an outboard is more versatile, I like how clean the back of the boat is with an I/O. Good luck.

Gator

I've got an 97' 19' Islander w/ the I/O, integrated kicker and an Autopilot. This boat can handle some pretty tough conditions and if it's too rough for my rig I guess I don't need to go out that bad!

KtdcJ.jpg

I fished out of a friends 22' Islander a 77 and I own a 22' Islander hard top an 88 . They both fish great and take more water than I am willing to fish in. Because they are lighter they ride differantly

than a heaver boat like my 20' Thompson did. Easy to trailer and launch. Read the reports and head to the hot port. :yes:

It's my 2nd year fishing lake ontario and can see it's going to be a life long obsession. It takes me about 5 hours to get to the lake and I fish Erie as well so I'm looking for a trailerable boat. My open bow 19 footer is on the small side and limits me to 1 to 3 foot waves, even that is BUMPY.

From what I've seen many like the Starcraft Islander. I've also seen a fair amount of Sylvan offshores and a couple of Crestliner Sabres at the lake. I'm looking for pros and cons of each or just what you guys think in general of these boats or any others of the same type.

How do these boats handle larger waves? And where is a good place to find one reasonable. Seems like the Sabres cost a bit more, any reason? I know they have the welded Hull, but are there other reasons?

Thanks

Jeff

not sure what you are looking to spend, but if new is in the cards the following company is getting great reviews for their aluminum offshore boats

http://www.hewescraft.com/index.html

22 ft has been the "majic" length ive found , side winds are the worst for any boat and the aluminum (low deadrise) makes it worser over 15 mph,but with a little time you learn to bump the speed for windy turns ,and maybe pull the downwind dyp to prevent crossovers.... as far as trolling in 4 to 6 ftrs its actually better due to it boyancy and ability to stay on top of the waves (mandatory derby conditions only not fun) just dont plan on high speed runs in those conditions unless its down the gullies or your gonna level out all the tackle on the floor and arrive at the dock toothless.

I owned a 22 sylvan for 8 years, I have fished out of the Islander as well and currently own a smaller Starcraft. I would rate the Crestliner and Lund ahead of the Starcraft and Sylvan simply because they are a heavier aluminum boat and that translates into a better ride. There are also some 22 Sea Nymphs and 22 Princecrafts out there as well. If you are looking for a used boat, this is the year to do it. Lots of boats for sale.

I've had my 22' Islander since 2005 and love it. I only trailer it long distances 2x a year (once to the lakehouse, once back home to PA). Overall, I think it's a great boat. I've had it in 5 footers before and never felt unsafe or felt we'd never make it back.

Eb879.jpg

omqcA.jpg

Dear Big Easy,

Thank you for your comments on "Offshore Aluminum Boats" After owning several high dollar "premium fiberglass boats" I visited Seattle Washington in 1995 and examined several Northwest style aluminum boat manufacturers. (Origin of their expertise were the "retiring" employees of Boeing aircraft!) Duckworth made the slickest ones. BUT, what amazed me was the Canadian & Alaskan use of commercial aluminum fishing boats in the 20 to 25 ft. range with 1/4 thick bottoms! with Hamilton Jet drives coupled to conventional marine inboard engines. Their toughness in NW rivers and ocean use is truly remarkable. Crossing dry sand bars and going thru log jams carrying huge loads is routine duty. Production style Eastern boats with "gauge" hulls and rivets have their place in low cost, and are available to the general fishing community. If you have ever been on a "Stryker", you will understand why aluminum is the material of choice for very tough boats from 20 ft. to 100ft.......I attached two pictures of my present 23 ft. 1/4 inch thickness hull with a Hamilton 212 Marine Jet. ....A charter captain friend nicknamed me Jet Boat Bill and that,s all today!

.......................Respectfully Submitted ....Jet Boat Bill

Jeff I have a 21' Sylvan offshore with the I/O 3.0 litre.. I love fishing out of this boat not only is it trailerable anywhere, very economical on fuel, and it rides the waves really nice... I had a 19' Islander with a 4.3 litre in and that was a nice boat also.. I like the I/O beacuse you do not have to worry about netting around the outboard, that in my opinion is a pan in the butt... The extra 2 feet makes a huge difference in the back of the boat my 19 was tight trying to fight fish and net.... My 21 has plenty of room in the back to do all of that...... Dale

My buddy has a 21 ft Islander and its a great boat very light has a 4 cylinder in it. Not to bad on gas but as mentioned before rides high on the waves as of being so light and the thing flies on calm days. 21ft seems to be the max trailerable size I think you should do. I also like the I/O don't ask me why but I always seem to catch more with the I/O than the outboards. Something about the sound or disurbance.?

My 22 ft Islander will handle more than I will.

Been in 5-6's before many times.

Jumps on/off the trailer, and tows great.

They do seem to respond to 150-200 lbs of weight in the nose, as the 4.3 is awful stern heavy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have owned a 23' sylvan Offshore with 4.3 merc i/o for the past 5 yr's after retiring a 21' Islander with a 140 merc. Both are and were great craft and never had any problem's with boat's other than regular maint. issue's. Had the starcraft for over 12 yr's and is still in service on Lake Erie. As stated in earlier post's respect the water/wind's and you will have no problem's with whatever you decide on :):) Garry

Not sure you will be able to find one but i have a 26 foot starcraft with a 260 hp merc! I love this thing, I built a hard top on it and its awesome! I found out about it from some one on this site posted it was for sale.