Lake Trout jigging

I'm no expert at jigging but I do get them where there hitting jigs. First off wind to me is important not a big blow just enought to move you around. If its real windy i'll put out a dift sock or 2 most times 2.

1. find them with the graph. no fish don't bother jigging. If you need to know how to tune your graph thats another topic.

2. big is better with jigs. i use 1 oz and over in 50 to 100 foot of water. I also modify my own jigs. I use 4" tube worms and cram a 1oz lead rig i made into it. almost like a fly rig. with beads to keep the hook back.

3. I've taken people out with me and they use the same jigs as me and didn't get a fish. There missing the strike. Its very important to feel the jig on the fall. dont just let it drop. jig up. and then let it fall fast enought to keep tention on the line. The lakers hit it on the fall. This works great on a windy day. the jigs is not only going up and down but also moving horizontaly. and its easier to feel the line on the fall.

4. the color of jigs is also important. I've seen them distroy a white jig over a darker color and vice versa. I also (just me) like to have some silver sparkle in the jigs. i.e. metal flake. stick with the color chart as to what can be seen on how deep you are. example red is only visible down to 20 foot max. orange to 40 and so on. This is why purple and green work great at deeper depths.

I hope this helps you out.

I do the following for making my jigs.

Material list.

1. 6" 30lb mono leader

2. (1) 4" Salted tube worm (color of your choice)

3. (3 or 4) beads size 6mm or 8mm (color not important they cant be seen, unless glow? hmmm just gave myself an idea)

4. (1) treble hook size #1 or #2

5. (1) 1oz or 1.5 oz worm sinker (brass or lead)

6. (1) barrel swivel

7. (1) toothpick

1. Push toothpick through the head of the tubworm to make a hole for the leader to go through.

2. snell the treble to the mono leader

3 Now next to the tubeworm lay the leader line and slip on the beads and then the worm sinker.

Take off, or put on more beads until the end of the hook is at the begining of the spit tail on the tube worm.

4. Slip the leader line through the hole you made in the tubeworm, and push the worm sinker all the way up into the head

of the tubeworm. Its a real tight fit, but the rubber will stretch. It will look a little like a tabpole when your finished.

5. Slip the barrel on the end of the leader and put it close to the head of the tubeworm. Tie it off and trim the excess

leader.

Your jig is complete.

Ive also done quite a bit of jigging and watching the graph is the most important factor. ive found that jigging around bait balls is productive. when i jig i use 3/4 - 1 1/2 oz jigs (depending on depth and wind) and an assortment of plastic bodies including tubes, flukes, and fin-s (a plastic minnow body- its great) and i always use bright colors... white is my go too but chartreuse is also good. i use a med rod with a good bait caster, something with a faster retrieve.

ive known john gaulke for years he is an excellent fishermen for all species but jigging for lakers is his specialty. his website is great and he will take you out on half or full day charters (he is very busy tho).