Reccomendations for 2nd timer from L Erie..

Heading to Olcot in a few weeks to try and catch some salmon and steelheads/trout...........

-fish Erie for 'eyes and steelheads pretty hard, wanted to get something bigger, thus the trip up here weekend of 8/20

Came up last fall in late Sept and by then the salmon bite was done (so I was told) as they were staging up outside the harbor and only hitting things that made them mad (again, so I was told).....we caught no salmon, but seen them jumping all over the place....only actually saw 1 maybe 2 caught in 2 days............. but on last day, went out to 400' and had a good time catching steelhead......we were using dipsy and downriggers with spoons

-so the questions.....I am used to using spoons/riggers/dipsy......what else do I need to use without going broke.........how do I set it up????

somebody gave me a few flashers, said use them, but I don't know how to rig them or run them, do you run them like dipsys or what?

Your help is much appreciated

If your friend gave you 8 or 11 inch flashers read the links on the lower left of this link http://www.protroll.com/books/?id=1

Do you know what kind of flashers they are, Pro Troll's, Spin Doctors etc?

You want to run fly's off of them available at all the baits shops in NY. Run a 22-26 inch leader behind the flasher, attach the spin doctor to a 30, 40, 50 pound 5-6 ft piece of flouro carbon behind the dipsey just like steelhead fishing. Instead of a spoon your running a flasher with a fly trailering behind it.

11 inch run off the riggers 10-15 back from the ball, they have a huge rotation so only run 1 off one rigger or if you run 2 make sure you have enough seperation between them (example run one at 40 the other at 75 or whatever)

Got questions let em rip!

Badluck I am an Erie eye guy as well and will be in Olcott the same weekend as you. I will be getting in Friday evening maybe we could hook up and I could help with any questions you have. I usually make a few trips to Olcott a year and am by no means an expert on Lake O but we usually catch some nice feesh.

badluck & King,

The week end you are coming is the start of the Fall LOC, starts 8/19. It will be a little quite as far as sharing info. This is the $20000 derby. There will be a large number of boats out and with the weather we are having you will probably will be fishing deep, 24 - 29 line. Get bto the launch early Saturday. Give me a shout.

Shade - boat name Hannah Christine - Ch. 68

Check out the thread "spread help" from a couple of weeks ago. The information was very helpful for me.

If your staying in Olcott, the slippery sinker has a pretty good selection of spoons/flies/spin doctors if you need to pick some up.

Good Luck

badluck & King,

The week end you are coming is the start of the Fall LOC, starts 8/19. It will be a little quite as far as sharing info. This is the $20000 derby. There will be a large number of boats out and with the weather we are having you will probably will be fishing deep, 24 - 29 line. Get bto the launch early Saturday. Give me a shout.

Shade - boat name Hannah Christine - Ch. 68

Boat name is KingPin I have a slip reserved to hopefully avoid some of the commotion, and with the Scotty going on in Oswego that weekend I thought that may alleviate some of the pressure out West :lol: