whats this ??

Ray it is a bowfin. I caught one about 6# a few years ago in the channel. We were doing the spring brown thing in the 18', the lake kicked up so we went in and were fishing perch with minnies in shallow. It fought real good, thought it was a northern until I got it boatside. "What the heck is this!"Didn't take long to ID it when I got back home to the computer. Released it of course, but what a suprise when we first saw it. Are you gonna target them now?

hey it was 37 in long ,,,plus you know the old saying thick fingers mean thich..........Ive picked up more chicks with post like that...(well they were a little large to actually pick up but 400 lbs is ok) just a tad under 30 lbs ...the other post by "deaf fisherman " shows a little less outstreached photo...nonethe less a good bass for the husdon on a worm and 12lb test..

Ray - That's one you cook in a dishwasher ;)

Males have a black spot outlined in yellow. Females have a yellow spot outlined with black. :lol:

Tom B.

(LongLine)

p.s. It's a bowfin...I was raised calling them dogfish...just like I was raised calling alewives - mooneyes.

Ray,

Bowfin all the way - as Tom mentioned I've also heard them called dogfish. It's not a snakehead - I believe their anal fin is extremely long (almost the entire length of their belly). I've never caught a bowfin but pretty much every year I hear one or two caught near Braddock's

Cool pics!

- Chris

Ray - That's one you cook in a dishwasher ;)

Tom B.

(LongLine).

Now Tom I am sure you have caught at least one fish this year, for the dishwasher :rofl:

Ray the second one is a Zebra fish, or prison fish, not yet out on parole :clap:

I actully target these things once or twice a year fish them like pike with a big live bait have gotten a couple over 10lbs what a blast and they will bite and snap at you