Shoreline Fishing...North Shore Questions??

Hoddie

Hey all...nice forum you have going here...

I did some searching, but came up FULL of fishing information...so full I really didn't find what I wanted to see...so I will ask kindly...

I'm a back home Manitoba river boy that used to enjoy casting off the side and catching some monster pikes...now I find myself in the quick stream Ontario region...looking for that shoreline pike hole again.

Can anyone suggest any spots along the north or west lake edges where I could go with my son and do some shore cast fishing for pike / muskies / big lakers? I tried the conventional Island lake, Belwood and so on with very little luck...and I've tossed some casts in around Humber on the shore with no luck. I hear the river in Caledonia is a good shore spot??

Is the area upstream from the lake along the Credit good for this, and if so, how far up before it is choked off for these larger pike/musky?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...

Hoddie, they are fishing the Ganny this week from the pier & in the river for staging Kings, & having success. Fished Wed. off Port Hope, went 3 for 8, & never ventured past 60 FOW, which is less than 1/2 mile from shore. Saw 500-1000 Kings porpousing, the screen always had several hooks on it, & even the boys on the pier had fish, using either row or casting small glo spoons. This weekend the river will be full of shore fisherman. If you think it's fun catching pike or muskys, try a 30# king. Awesome!! Just make sure your reel has good line capacity, & you have a strong arm. Both will be necessary. These fish move into the mouth of the river at night, then move back out after daylight. This will continue until the next rain, then it' up the river to spawn. We kept a couple for the smoker, with one being a hen. The eggs were huge & although not loose, not far from it. It's anal was very enlarged, so it's close to spawning. The Ganny is the earliest run that I know, & they're all natural, as the Ganny has not been stocked with Kings for 25 years. It's a blast at this time of year, & well worth the effort.