A little confusion.....

Fairly new to the sport, spent a LOT of time on here and so far, has been paying of to an extent, each time out catching a few more fish than before, but still nothing to brag about and no kings :( . I've read a lot here about different rigger weights and shapes which relates to my first set of questions:

Is the fish shape the same as the shark shape? Which tracks better? and which is better for depths 100' or less? (Assuming they are different shapes and performance to this depth.)

Rather than just using spoons, I just added a few flies to my small, somewhat productive arsenal of lures, but confused on the flasher/dodger ordeal.

Do each of these act the same? Which is better to use with a fly? and does it necessarily have to match the color of the fly?

Last bit of info I would like to know is distance behind the ball and stacker to go with a spoon and with a flasher/fly? I've heard anything from 8' up to 30'. I know if something doesn't work, try something else, but there has to be some sort of general consensus on a narrower range of distance.

Does the distance behind the clip effect th way a lure presents itself? Especially with a flasher?

Figured I would get the basics out of the way before I start worrying about anything else. Thanks for all the help gentlemen!!

OrangeD

As far as distance behind the ball, as a general rule guys will lengthen leads the shallower the fish. Some like it short some like them longer, experiment but those lengths will work. Shark weights are different than fish weights. They both catch fish but keep in mind. That depending on weight and shape of the weights they make track different. For example If you want your lures 110 foot down and you are using 8 or 10lb weights and you have your rigger set at 110, between lake currents and trolling speed your lures might not reach. Pay attention to the angle of the rigger cable, that will tell you a lot.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

The general rule I follow for lead lengths behind the ball is the 100' rule. If your down 20' then you have a lead length of 80'. If you are 80' down then your lead lenth is 20'. I found the rule here and it has worked pretty well as a general rule. Andy

Traditional flashers rotate, "modern" flashers swing a large circle, dodgers wobble side to side somewhat like a finely tuned spoon. I'm probably the only guy still using dodgers.

You have to experiment to find the best fly/flasher combo. Sometimes best to match them or at least have some similarity between them.

Flasher/flys generally run tight to 20 ft back. In general spoons run further back. Depth plays an important part. Deeper you're fishing, closer the spoons can be.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I'm probably the only guy still using dodgers.

diddo Tom & RR

You'll have dodger days and you'll have flasher days. Same as spoon days & fly days.

All tools that should be in your arsenal.......but definitely not limited to. :wondering::whew::thinking:

R&R is bringing his attractors back in numerous sizes and some new fantastic colors.

:clap: R&R colors are intense. ive always liked that brand and still use it all. ive been running the R&R flashers and assasins on heavey line for fear of loosing it and not being able to replace it. that will be cool.