Milky Oil

A friend of mine has a Honda 125 four stroke.The oil in the crankcase appears milky, like it is getting water.It also seems to smell of fuel,but not sure.He has had a compression check ,thinking it could be a head gasket.Everything was normal.We thought it might be condensation from long hours of trolling.Don't want to damage anything and this can't be good.Any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks in advance

Tom

Dear Black squirel 2,

CHANGE the oil immediately. Record engine time. Look at the oil after one day of trolling, IF no traces of water/milkiness are found, it may be condensation. Or take it to a reputable shop for examination. This type of oil contamination is NG on internal parts! Be carefull!!!!

Respectfully,

.....Jet Boat Bill Sat. 11:10 AM

Recommend doing what Bill said. You didn't mention if the oil level had changed. If you have a significant leak, the level might change. If the level has changed that could account for the fuel smell. Most new vertical shaft motors have such a small margin of error in the oil level. Just a few ounces over full and they will actually start trying to flood out the bottom cylinder. As soon as that happens it is perpetual, fuel doesn't burn, running into the oil sump, raising the oil level.

It could also be the oil used. My old truck did that once. Got oil on sale, it actually foamed and would start coming out the breather, but looked milky after sitting. Nothing wrong with the engine. It was some sort of reaction between the two oils. That's the reason I always stick with one brand of oil, not matter what.

Thanks for the replys.The oil was changed as soon as the problem was found. The oil again appeared as though it was contaminated with water.This is when it was taken to a shop for yhe compression test that came out OK.Even if there are no leaks I worry about damage to the internal engine parts as well as corrosion.Do these engines have an internal thermostat to control temp?

Thanks again

Yes they do have a therm! As far as the lower unit goes it should be ok. These parts can take this kind abuse usually. They just don't hold up to other operator errors such as leaving it partialy in gear. Just make your you check it often and before temps get below freezing make sure you change the oil again.

I had a similar problem about 6 years ago with a 10 horse honda, 4-stroke. The oil smelled like it was contaminated with fuel. Changed the oil, and after about 3 hours of trolling, same problem occurred. I took it to Seagar marine in Canandaigua, they check compression and that was OK. They noticed the engine was not warming up properly. Turns out the thermostat was shot. When the thermostat fails, it fails full open so the engine will not over heat, but the engine can not come up to proper operating temperature. Because of that, unburned fuel can pass by the piston rings and contaminate the oil.

I like Seagar marine. They have Honda mechanics, and have taken very good care of me in the past and would recommend them if you need service on a Honda outboard.

Chris