Species Breakdown:small king

Hot Lure:

Trolling Speed: ?

Down Speed: ?

Boat Depth: 150

Lure Depth: 60

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

Went out for the first time with the wife and kids. I didn't have my dad to show me how to use the down riggers and dipsys, so I winged it. Set up at 150' with a SD MTN/DEW with green crinkle a-tom-ik fly on first rigger 60' down. Soon as I set it we caught a small king that was skipping across the top. You guys call those 'SKIPPERS" RIGHT. Thought we were golden, never saw another fish. Went out to 220' with nothing. Kids and wife were getting bored so we started to head back in. Soon as we got in 60' of water we starting marking a lot of fish 20' - 30' down. Kids and wife were excited again but nothing. Went in to Braddock to pan fish but nothing again. I might try again tomorrow from Braddocks if I can get my dad to show me the ropes. I ran 2 riggers with SD/Flys and 2 Dipsy's with DW SS and NK. I just had the dipsy's trolling behind. Didn't want to try and stack them. Had some releases on the one rigger that caught the skipper, but nothing home. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and good luck.

====================

It can be a challenge 1st time out with family. Remember what you did and what didn't work for this time of year.

I'd suggest if you're only using riggers to make sure there depths are 10-20ft different. Also, unstacked upper rigger lead shorter than deeper one. If you're marking & not catching, drop them both a few feet after 15 min or so. Did you zig-zag or troll straight in or out? Speed can be very important. DWSS & NKs have always worked at faster speeds than SDs for me. Did you run some purple?

Good luck

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I don't have down speed or temp ( really wish I did) but I manage. Look for bait & fish around & thru it. Keep thing simple. I have surface speed & temp which helps. I also have a hand held GPS that works great for SOG( speed over ground )& stay on the spot. . Use lures that are proven . you can get those off here. Everyone has their favorites. mine areNKs Glo grn on Black silver& Blk or Silver purple,42 second for first choices. I like leads of 10 - 40 ' for my spoons. Don't be afraid to troll a little on the faster side & S turn. Direction of troll is important as a speed factor when you hookup to pay atention to. We did pretty well this weekend but their were times we went a few hrs without a hit. Lastly, sorry to say , but you have to "Pay your dues" so to speek. First light is usually best for kings I have found. Good Luck.

Thanks for all the advice and help. Only purple I ran was atomic fly behind mt/dew SD. Trolled straight out. In circle sometimes when the wife was driving. LOL. I will look into a down speed and temp unit. I can buy a surface speed for my Lowrance X67C. Thanks again for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.