Rpms high, no power...

steelhead99

If I'm doing over 15mph and hit any kind of wave my rpms spike and the moter seems to go into neutral. I have to power down and start over. Is this due to the prop coming out of the water? And if so, should the motor just stay at high rpms with no power in a neutral state until I power down? Like I said it's a mercury optimax 135. I was out on Ontario yesterday, ran excelent at trolling speeds but failed at higher speeds.

Sounds like your prop is slipping. Props have a rubber sleeve in them that go bad. If this is the case you need a new prop. The other scenario is you have the motor pitched to high and it is cavatating but I really don't think this is the case giving what you are describing. If you haven't already. Pitch your motor all the way down and try it. If it slips then you need a new prop. Good luck

Quite often you can just replace the sleeve in the prop and not have to buy the whole prop.

They replaced the old style shear pins and are there to give, if you hit something instead of bending the prop shaft and damaging gears.

It's alot cheaper than buying a new prop.

Glen

Your prop is fine but you most likey spun your hub, I would call a Mercury dealer and ask them if you have a hub to even spin if not you have bigger trouble I say this because i have a 250 Pro XS Opti and they have metal hubs to prevent this but not sure the small Opti's have them or not, hopefully they do. If it's hub easy fix you'll be back in business in no time.