Newby Diver/Layout Boat Hunter Looking For Some Help

I've been a puddle duck hunter all my life (yeah, I'm old, but it good shape) and tried hunting seaducks in Chesapeake Bay out of a layout boat a few years ago. Absolutely loved it. Now I know why guys love their diver hunting. Anyway, I built a layout boat last year (see photo), which given my limited woodworking abilities I am pretty proud of. I have 4 doz. bluebills, a couple doz. goldeneyes and a half doz. buffies.

I live north of Utica where there isn't much for diver duck opportunities. So, if any of you have a good area to hunt, like the Finger Lakes (brother-in-law lives near Ithaca), Lake Ontario (cousin lives near Oak Orchard), etc., I'm retired and willing to travel. Would love to shoot some redheads, which I've never done before. You'll get first dibs out of the boat. I also have a 16' deep V as a tender if I need to bring it. Thanks for any consideration. Oh, and if you are willing to travel and would like a nice goose shoot this fall I can provide that.

John

BeIxS.jpg

sadwick

Good red head spots would be Cayuga and Conesus. The problem with those spots is they get hunted alot. Canandiagua is good also. Canandiagua is tough because of the depth. Ive layout hunted out in the Big Lake , but the flocks of Bills aren't hanging around like years past.

Most of my open water hunting is done for Scoters and Oldsquaws....Good luck and I have to agree with you...Layout hunting is awesome.

I have been layout hunting the FlX and the big O the past 4 seasons, Last year was tough due the boat trouble with the tender. But we are ready to go this year.

I keep 2 diffrent spreds now:

1. Lake Ontario spread (Scooters, Long tails, Goldeneyes, and bills)

2.Finger lakes (Bills, Redheads, Cans) 100 deeks

2 layout boats,

17' Tender

The first week of dec. is really when things heat up for us, as far as hunting lake O you are at the mercy of the weather which can be unpredictable at best.

PM me if you want to come out there is nothing better in hunting than layouts for me.

we sometimes could use one more gun from time to time.

Missd. was right on with the info. he gave as well, bills have been hard to limit on in lake ontario.

Bringley,

Thanks for the invitation. While I would like to shoot a redhead, I will take anything out of a layout. Scoters, longtails and goldeneyes would be great. Have a friend who lives in Sodus Bay so if you hunt there I would have a place to stay. Also, I'm willing to drive out your way as I have a relative near Oak Orchard and one in Depew I can stay with. Not quite sure how to PM you. Went to your profile and didn't see an email address.

Sand,

I wish I could help you, I'm in the same boat(no pun intended). It's a bit more difficult for me since I don't know anyone, and it's a bit of a haul from PA just to drive. On a brighter note, if you ever want to head down to Lake Erie let me know. Don't get a lot of variety, but there's bill and buffy galore.

Missdemeanor,

I found the cure for that. Carve your own. The newest additions to my family.

100_0409.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yah those guys are right i have been doing the same thing for the last few years oldsquaw and scoters on lake O and redheads bills down to cayuga and other bays...occasionally onieda lake for bills and goldeneyes. i Just bought a 19ft Duck Water Boat for this season and am always looking to go with new ppl if u are interested we do a hammering on the sea ducks big time limits everytime....or u go home shell less....but if u wanted to come up with your layout boat and shoot some squaws im a lil closer than oak i am in oswego...would send some pics with this of our hunts but idk how to haha.....good luck to you all and hopefully the wind and snow comes soon they willl follow

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png