Henderson/Stony Light 6/11/07

A great day out on Lake O today, we finally put some Eyes in the boat this year. We got 1 brown on the rigger down 39 over 42 on a Stinger Alewive, about 6lbs. Another pass and on the turn back we had a big Eye hit the same spoon down 31 over 55, the little guy did a great job until the last 50 feet when he said" Daddy I can't do it any more". I took the rod, got the fish to 10 feet behind the boat, the fish came up and showed itself. I saw what looked to be an Eye about 12lbs, it opened it's mouth and did a head shake and the spoon came flyin out. I set the rigger back up and turn around and the 3 color core with a clown Husky Jerk takes off. I hand the rod to my cousin and he lands a beautiful 10lb eye. After a couple of pics, it is back in the lake. Set back up, get to our upper way point and the other rigger goes with a SAVANT Jake in the froggy paint, down 35 over 52. Dad grabs the rod and he is into his first Eye of the year, ends up being a nice 8lber, a couple pics and back in she goes. We had a little lull and we get back to our way point and the Savant fires again. Dad hands it off to Tommy, I hear " it is coming up", I look to see a sweet brown clear the water, est approx 12-15lbs, the fish lands on the 8lb leader on bye bye goes the fish with my Jake in it's mouth. Oh well, still a great day, we fished from 830 am until 100 pm and called it a day. A great looking screen most of the day, wish I could have been out there earlier. I hope you enjoy the pics.

100_1129.jpg

100_1122.jpg

100_1124.jpg

100_1125.jpg

Hope this water stays like this for a while, Good Luck guys. Sorry for the being long winded.

Rich

Rich.. Nice job and thanks for the great report! I'm hoping to finally get up there this coming weekend. Probably be fishing north of you since we'll be staying on Mud Bay. I haven't been out since walleye closed in March! Between birthdays, weddings and weekend coverage at work.. it just hasn't worked out! If you hear me chattering on 68.. give me a shout! I'd give you my cell #, but I know it doesn't get a signal up there. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Rich sounds like you had a great time out with the family and some Great pictures also.How's the boat running with all the adjustments you did this spring Things all set now ?Haven't heard from you in a while when is a good time to give you a shout?Have a great day :)

Thabks guys for the comments. It was a fun day, wish they were all that way, but we know that will never happen.

Chris, Thanks, I will listen for you, but will probably not be up this weekend. Good Luck, I want to hear how you did.

Auggie,

Let me know when you will be up, I will be up there Wednesday or Thursday or Friday, not sure yet. Good Luck, I will pm my cell #later.

Guy,

I will not be up Saturday, dad is going to do some bass fishing, so I will hang back with the family, I might hit Mexico Bay with a buddy. Good Luck up there.

Erin,

thanks, the boat is running good(knock on wood), the kicker is awesome. I will be working the next 3 days so I will give you a shout tomorrow. Hope everything is going good for you.

Al,

We do eat walleyes, but not those. The fishery up there is over exploited as it is, I am tdoing my part to ensure that my kids and grandkids will have eyes to fish for in the years to come. I do not allow any eye over 5 lbs to be kept unless it is going to be mounted. Those fish are our bredders, I wish more people would see that and put them back. the fishery is not what it used to be due to the fact that so many eyes have been taken over the years. It will get better when they start stocking again, hopefully next year. What is really sad is the number of eyes that die after the MWC gets done doing their tourneys. In the past I have heard the percentage is as high as 50% a few years ago, and I heard it was close to 35%-40% this year. that is not good in my book. I have nothing against the guys that fish it, but I think the MEC should be held responsible for the mortality rate.

Sorry to vent, but I have sat on this for a few years and it needs to be heard. Pete please do not take this personally.

Good Luck this weekend guys. I will post more when I get out again.

Rich