Lake Erie Perch

jimski2

Use the Silver Creek exit of the I90, go west on 5/20 to the first red light, turn right. There is a bait store, then over the tracks to the state boat launch. As the lake cools down, the perch should move in closer. Also good for walleyes, steelhead, bass and catfish early in the summer. Near the mouth, the Seneca reservation has the east bank, further up, both sides and a reservation license is needed. Cheaper gasoline there.

At dawn Saturday, five of us went out to 67 foot off Lotus Point and saw fish on our graph. We dropped the hook and took about 60 perch, many around 14 inches. Catching stopped, later after searching around for a good graph screen, the graph showed fish at 74 foot towards Canada and the hook was dropped again. Total catch for the day was 180 perch filling the 100 quart cooler to the top.

The "Boys from Belfast, NY" will have enough storebought meat till last them till goose and squirrel season starts.

High priced minnows and worms were the ticket.

Bait is a problem here, the minnow dealers are out till Thursday, as they say, thanks to the DEC. This is a shame as the perch are really turned on and Sunday morning, no minnows were to be had.

When anchoring in 73 feet of water, make sure you have at least 250 feet of anchor line to hold bottom when the wind blows.

Yesterday was the best morning of fishing in my lifetime. From 7:30AM to 9:30AM, with my 80 year old retired mailman using a handline and spreader, we landed 100 perch, half of them 12 to 14 inches long. In 70 foot of water off Evangola State Park, we ran out of bait in two hours. The fish were on as soon as your line hit the bottom, you could only use one line. Expensive minnows, worms and salted minnows were the ticket. This action has been going on for over a week now so if you need some, go get them.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am there for 41 years.

Worms brought 50 perch in the boat for a friend when he went out of the Catt.

The weather has been bad for too long, let us hope the fish are still there, usually by mid September they are back in 55 foot, but spread out all over the lake then.

Lineman, I use strips about 2"s long on a jig, or a plane hook or a 2"tube jig black-chartreuse. If there schooled up tight and feeding they will hit any part you put down.You won't even need to bait the tub jigs when there fighting for the lure. Good luck. :) .