Has anyone had much experience or luck using J Plugs for Kings in August?

Last August I took my first trip to Mexico Bay for Kings. Used the typical setup of green or white Echips with Atomic green or white flies on riggers. Also used the MS spoons in the popular colors on stackers. Although from various reports, last August seamed a bit slow, I didnt have any luck over the 3 days I was there.

Was thinking if changing things up to J plugs or trolling with meat would have had better results.

Also does Dipsy's change things up vs riggers? I see many Charters using both.

Going back up to MEX Bay or Oswego and want to be preparred for alternatives!

Thanks for any advise or comments.

Wire dipsies with flashers and flies take alot of fish for us. Sometimes we will run spoons or j-plugs off them too. If your arn't running dipsies , MORE FISH for ME!!!!!!!! :lol:

I love to use J plugs from here on out. They catch a lot of fish for me . The #4 glo green & silver bullets W/ or w/o red head are my favs. Run them back 35- 200' with at least one just off bottom & S turn a lot. Change the hooks on the harness w/ 1/0 lazer sharps of some sort & tie direct. If it breaks off you it will float up & you can get it back. On a rigger put a dodger or flasher 10-25 ' back and 20 feet above run the J back 125' . do on both sides & S turn. One of my go to patterns on a slight chop slow hit day just outside the pack. Good luck.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Based on all the positive comments about Dipsies, I picked up a new Dipsy setup and will give it a go. Got good info on line from http://www.fisherie.com/captain/04.07.04.asp (capt Dave Adams DD Charters).

I picked up Glo Green #4 and Silver Metallic blue #4

Any preference on how to run the Jplugs either on Dipsy or riggers? Beind flasher or by itself?

I have not run j plugs yet this year but i will try a couple this weekend. We took are second and third largest fish last year on j plugs. I prefer to run them off the riggers and last year my best colors were black and purple and this old black one that i put purple ladder back stickers on, good luck to ya partner.