You decide...

tcon

The first picture was from the earlier post "Snake head in Wellington?" the second picture was taken from a friends cell phone this past weekend in Ossian creek in Dansville...what does everybody think.

Pw3gS.jpg

^^^this one is the juvenile Snake Head^^^

Pwsdi.jpg

^^^this one is the unknown^^^

Skipper,

The first picture was taken right from the post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19584 and was said to be a juvenile snakehead that was caught in Maryland...i've caught bowfin at port bay and they do look similar but don't share the tiger/snake body markings...my buddy had a fisheries guy look at it from the DEC and he was going to get back to him, he said it also my be some type of "Darter." I'll update the post if I hear anything.

Tom

could be the logperch darter, but I can't quite see the double dorsal in the low quality of the pic. Yeah the one pic is of the Maryland discovery of snakehead, but being the other photo of a an adult was undated and probably not documented as a fish from Lake Ontario with witness, I wouldn't put much stock in the fact it was from Lake O. Just hope not true, but given the fact those things can live through freezing and out off water for days it will most probably be a real problem if allowed to get a foothold.

Mark

first one is a snake head back when they were leagel a knew a couple friends that had them as pets. the second one its hard to tell but the head doesnt look quite right wish the fish was out of the water for the pic but hopefully it is a darter i'd hate to see another invasive come in though i'd love to go to there native range and fish for them

After looking looking up Percina caprodes from fish tech's reply I would definiately say its a logperch...thank God! Ironic as it is an hour of "River Monsters" last night was spent on the snake head, the giant snake head and the Asian carp...thank god they're not here yet! The giant snake head have been documented to attack humans when protecting their young.