Depth Raider Install question

OK - Based on the rave reviews from many members here I bought a Depth Raider to install on the little multi species boat.

I plan to install today but had a question about it

Has anyone installed the coated cable by just splicing to the end of their existing cable ( using a couple of crimps) and winding it right over the top - seems like this would be very simple to do and would solve any cannon shortstop issues ( I will be using the removable probe setup similar to what has been posted here) . My only concern with this would be potential wear on coated cable where it is touching the reg cable on the spool -

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Ted

why not just remove the old cable? that will be alot of cable. you should strip back the coating a little any how. it's pretty easy to install. the instructions were a little intunidating to me, but when i got done i realized it was prety easy. as far as wear goes, as long as you don't have any burr's it should be fine. no matter how you do it the coating will wind against the metal cable anyway.

I expected the counter would be off slightly but to be honest i doubt they are that precise anyway so I can handle that - I was looking for a 'shortcut' since I expect to replace these current downriggers with cannon mag5hs in spring - this just seemed like an simple & quick approach to get up & running and then allow me to uninstall quickly and have the old riggers sale ready

I expected the counter would be off slightly but to be honest i doubt they are that precise anyway so I can handle that - I was looking for a 'shortcut' since I expect to replace these current downriggers with cannon mag5hs in spring - this just seemed like an simple & quick approach to get up & running and then allow me to uninstall quickly and have the old riggers sale ready

you would want the counters to work right if you are in shallow water. it's not really a shortcut by just adding new cable. it only takes a few minutes to strip the old off. all this typing you could have had it done by now :lol:

thanks for the input guys

I had previously installed one of these on a buddies boat and did that one 'by the numbers'. Since I am planning on changing riggers before next season I was just looking for input on risks of winding over the old cable - I had hoped someone had already tried it

I did the install yesterday and decided somebody had to be first so I did wind it over existing . Counter impact was minimal and initial performance was normal . Time will tell

Ted