Hello all,

Ok so I'm new to Dipsys. Based on all the positive info I've seen and heard about success with Dispsys on the big lake I broke down and purchased a couple combos. Probably not the best setup but it should get me started and price was right...$60 combo.

9' Cabelas Depth Master with DM30a reel with line counter. 300 yards of 30# power pro with 100 yards 30# dacron backing. I plan on running 9ft of 20# Seaguar for the leader.

I havent bought the #1 Dipsy yet because I confused about the color. I heard black is probably best for all around use because its nuetral. I'm targeting Kings next week...any preferences on color?

Also any preference of settings (0,1,2,3) and how much line out to reach 70 - 90 ft depth? I have the #1 Dipsy depth chart but thats based on 20# mono and only goes to 70ft on 0 setting. Any help here would be appreciated! :clap:

Thanks!

Color doesn't really matter IMHO. The deeper you are the lower the setting. Use a 3 to 1 ratio usually. Ie setting 1.5 out 270 gets you to about 90, setting 2 out 210 should getcha about 70. Keep on mind that this is with wire- you may need slightly more with braid. If o were you id just start a bit short and let out a line every little while til you get a hit. I run my dipsey as my deep line quite often...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Most guys that run 1 diver per side run them on a 2 setting (including me) 200-260 will put you in the 65-85 range. I seem to do best on kelly green, yellow or black divers. The big water edition has diver charts for braid, they will not dive as deep with spin docs due to the drag though. I would run the shore with a spin doc till you bumb bottom, only way to tell for sure. Alot of LOU guys are running 47LCA with full 1000ft spools of wire so our spools match pretty close, yours may not match up so well to alot of what you read on here or other reports.

.....and then there are those like me who can't seem to get them to track at all on the sides and end up running one or two (through the chute) out the back at the zero setting. I prefer the chrome.

Your doing something seriously wrong then.If the base plate says 1, 2, 3 and it's not planing out, you either have a broken diver (if that possible) or your using mono and you can't see the swing but doesn't mean it isn't, or your rod holder position isn't letting you see where it's going. Something isn't right? Can't you explain maybe we can help. 8)

I too am just learning the diver setup. I have two 47LCA reeds with 8'6" rods. I'm going to get a couple 9'6" dipsy rods. I have leadcore on one reel and 1000ft of wire on the other. I take it I should use flourocarbon leaders. How much line from my dipsey to my spoon or flasher should I use?

My experience has led me away from fluorocarbon as leader on dipsies beacause of it's stiffness. Even with a snubber there is a lot of shock during the initial strike and dipsey release. Due to it's forgiveness and little more stretch I prefer #30 mono for my leaders. Have gone head to head with Mono and Fluoro and have not seen that Flouro makes any positive impact on number of strikes but have clearly noticed a pattern in fish lost due to break offs with Fluoro...saw a lot of aggressive strikes on Flouro result in immediate break offs (initial shock). Just my 2 cents.

never had a problem with running them out - my program to start with is a 1#dispey 2 1/2 setting back 185 with power pro can't remember the weight of line 60 -80 pd weight ? That will get me down to 60 feet with a I think 9 inch spin doctor not the big one next size down. I know this will drag bottom in 60 ft. My favorite color is lime green for salmon.

Gander Mt has rods very reasonable $40 i think , I own 2 with Diwa LC AN 30LB braid . Run them # 2 setting 250 out usually gets me down 70-80' . I set them up, braid to dipsy , then 5' 40lb leader then spin doctor to fly. my favoraite set up is a overcast day ,white glow dipsy white glow SD , white glow fly .Anyone have problems bending hooks on some harnesses?

.....and then there are those like me who can't seem to get them to track at all on the sides and end up running one or two (through the chute) out the back at the zero setting. I prefer the chrome.

Your doing something seriously wrong then.If the base plate says 1, 2, 3 and it's not planing out, you either have a broken diver (if that possible) or your using mono and you can't see the swing but doesn't mean it isn't, or your rod holder position isn't letting you see where it's going. Something isn't right? Can't you explain maybe we can help. 8)

I wish it was me,that I can fix! I have been fishing since the first ESLO and have used Dipsies before but not on this boat.

These are actually Walker Deep Divers, but basically the same, only they do not require the o-ring. Regardless of the setting, length of rod, side of boat..........., these things track straight or worse.......... swing under the boat. I had a post going maybe a year ago about it and I remember I wasn't the only one and no one could figure it out.

Running braid to diver, then 30# MONO.

Try reversing the dipsies. I get it wrong usually at the beginning of every trip. I believe you have to turn around and face the bow and then left is left and right is right.

If you have them reversed, they may appear to be tracking straight, but are actually tracking the wrong way.

Not 100% sure this is the issue, but might be worth a try.

the way i remember how to run them is this:

facing the BACK of the boat,take a dipsey in your two hands with the release set/locked for using(as if ready to drop it in the water)hold it up in front of your eyes,with the lead weight towards/closest to you. pull the release,and observe which way the dipsy swings.if it swings to the right it goes port,swings to the left it goes on the starboard side.hope i got his right ;) if not its :no: for me. again this is facing the back of the boat.with e perm marker put a p or s on it so you will know for nent time which side it goes.hope this all helps!

mike m

I have tried changing the weight. It is very noticeable when they are wrong because they will immediately swing under the boat when wrong. I can get them to swing out for a short time but eventually they track along side the hull or worse. Keeping them straight off the back down the chute is my only option.

i beleive my set-up goes something like:

wire to dipsey,to 12in.wolverine stealth snubber ,to 4-6ft floro leader,to flasher,to 21-23inch fly leader,to fly.sometimes a longer leader is good.this is just me,try different things to see what works best for you.

good luck,

mike. :)

or is it snubber first,then dipsey?.......or was it the chicken first..or.... :lol:

My experience has led me away from fluorocarbon as leader on dipsies beacause of it's stiffness.

but have clearly noticed a pattern in fish lost due to break offs with Fluoro...saw a lot of aggressive strikes on Flouro result in immediate break offs (initial shock). Just my 2 cents.

I agree 100% with you. The colder it is the worse it gets. I got so fed up I cut all the flourcarbone leaders and replaced them .

I run mine 6' but most guys go with the length of their rods. No longer then the length of your rod or you won't be able to net your fish.

We stopped running 11" plates/twinkies off the dipsey's, as by the time you have the fish boat-side, your next to the wheel,(in my boat anyway) totally blind as to the netting.

I run mine 6' but most guys go with the length of their rods. No longer then the length of your rod or you won't be able to net your fish.

We stopped running 11" plates/twinkies off the dipsey's, as by the time you have the fish boat-side, your next to the wheel,(in my boat anyway) semi-blind as to the netting.