looking for catch my first musky

Hey anyone, I'm living at rochester area, I wonder which lake has musky that are nearby rochester area? Since I don't want to drive an hour and half to waneta lake or canandigua lake. But someday I would, but not on the occasion in which I wish to. You know, I'm on college budget.. Aren't fun!

Anyway, any info will be appreciate! Still looking for my first musky. :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Yeah thank for info, I planning for catch and release on musky. I never wanted to keep them.. Also, I guess I might need to drive longer to catch them..

I wonder what's is general info to after them? Since I read mostly on capt larry, zach, old man's reports on musky fishing, I learned that fishing on shallow or deeper is no different but trolling them on 10 fow.. At anywhere.. But problem is that, I wanted to casting at them, not trolling.. So any info will help me..

i enjoy casting a lot more than more than trolling but trolling can be very effective at times. this weekend all of lex's and my fish came from places that would be very, very difficult to cast to. there is a strong movement back into the weeds coming up and this will get me casting again. give me a sunset on a nice day i stop trolling and throw on one of my favorite topwaters and go to work. you have a big fish explode on you and your hooked. to me thats as exciting as it gets. i complain the same as you do about nothing local but this year i have gone to conesus a half dozen times and have found the tigers fun and at times tough to get. i cast at conesus and find its a blast working jerkbaits for them around the weeds. good luck and i fully understand your situation and wish that i didn't have to drive 80 miles to the closest musky lake. i hope that one day you get out and get to experience what drives some of to almost obsession. casting is fun and i cast for myself, trolling can get boring but it puts fish in the boat. both have there times.

Zach, thank for the post, haha yeah I understand what you mean by that.. I'm sure I will have musky fever once I caught my first one! I always wanted after them since I was pike fishing in younger age, but I wanted monster size of pike. Until I heard of musky, now I want to go after them.. However, in massachusetts, it don't have any muskies in there, there has few lake that hold them, and it was maybe 200miles away from my home..

But now, I'm going college in rochester. So I want bring up my old dream to reality. So I'm sure some day I will have to go canadaigua or waneta lake to fish them..

Back to point, I want to learn something more, so I'm follow from what you said about trolling vs casting.. So I decide to go along to trolling for them.. So what's kind of lure should I start with? I don't want to buy lure that are plastic or expensive one. So any advice for trolling lure?

I forget to add one question, about after tigers in conesus is more reasonable for me at now, so which jerkbaits is better for tigers? Or any kind of jerkbait would be fine? Which color should I have to go after them? I was thinking about perch color and white one.

P.s which part of lake I should start at? North end or south end?

Thank a lot for help me out! Look forward to post report in here sometime this fall season!

at conesus i have actually gotten all of my tiger this year (8) on the phantom softtailed jerkbaits. haven't been there in awhile but it is fun. if you don't want a plastic lure and don't want to spend big $$ on wood baits i am at a loss. wood lures are more expensive and i believe each one if different. if i could reccomend anything to start it would be to get a wiley, a tuff shad and a perchbait. i have said many times that i think a person could run these 3 lures all year and do as well as anyone else who has 500 baits like solgrande does. they have been proven time and time again in this area but cost good $. check ebay for good deals, i have picked up tons of baits on there. good luck and make a note of everything cpt larry says and that should point you in the right direction. my love for pike fishing also led me to be stuck on muskies for over 15 years now and am 31 years old now. bty august seems to be a great time to throw topwaters. if i could only recommend one topwater it would have to be a joe bucher topraider. easy to fish, "fairly" inexpensive and they do well.

Thank zach,

Yeah I will buy few jerkbaits and popper that u just suggest to use.. Sound like good.. Ill try them out sometime at conesus when I buy them.. Hopefully it will worked out like what you just told me..

Thanks for the advice on lures..

Ohh one more thing, does size of lure is matter? Or big ones will be fine?

First of all, I didn't realized I was using little offensive language that I post eariler.. I just want to say, sorry to anyone if anyone being offend by this.

Secondly, someone told me that there are special regulation about using boat in hemlock and canadice lake so I wonder if there is any regulation about boat for fishing in conesus? Since I have 20 footer boat and 265 horsepower.. Its is i/o motor. So is that ok to use in conesus? Or it is not approve for conesus?

nothing offensive about your language...don't let anyone have you believe otherwise. ;)

canadice and hemlock are restricted hp because they are the two lakes the city draws their drinking water from...the rest around here have no restrictions so you're fine with your rig on conesus.

good luck on your quest!

bty i always thought canadice was the nicest water i fished (ice fish) but when my dad just moved down there he was told that it had the highest PCB levels of any finger lake. i quess that there was a guy up on the hill that used to scrap transformers and over the years all the chemicals washed it the 'dice and is still in there. wait until solgrande posts some pics from yesterday. he heard that drag rip once or twice! :yes:

thank nitromusky and zach on this one!

i dont want to break any rules or ruining someone's day with that 20 foot running over the lake..

anyway, yeah, i heard that story few times in canadice lake. since i went to honeoye lake for ice fishing couple of time at last year.. was planning to go there but decide not to.