Sea Sprite Boats ?

TrimTab

Been fishing with my buddies for a little over a year and a half on Lake O, in my buddies boat. Learned a lot and have fallen in love with salmon fishing. Plan on getting my own boat in around 2 years while currently gaining more experience fishing with my buddies on their boat. Have the opportunity, however, to get a boat of my own wet for a reasonable price( $0.00 from the in-laws in exchange for summer storage with free reign of use till next summer!) It's a 1987 23' Sea Sprite, has a small cuddy, V6 Merc, etc. Don't know a thing about these other that this one runs mint. Does anyone have any history on Sea Sprite boats and Lake O? Would this boat be suitable to take out on the lake and try and put some fish in it? Doesn't have to be a seroius fishing rig, just something to learn in and get some lines wet. Let me know. Thanks.

i never heard of them but a boats a boat kinda like furnaces some you pay big bucks for the name but the valves ,moters ,switches ,are pretty much the same ,,for the price id probly consider this one ya got a good power plant if the layout works for fishing go for it , if not ill give ya 100.00 bucks for it and ya wont have to mess around .and you can dish out 55000.00 for a nice fishing rig, just have a good mech . do a safety check before ya go too nuts.. 23 ft will level out most waves you will fish in..

Yea - I remember Sea Sprite. My Dad had a couple of these back in the 70's. They were big when the tri-hull open-bow was popular. Not sure they are still around though. The boats we had were good for what they were. I'm glad that fad wore off and we went back to V-Hull's. I think we almost bought it a couple of times with those tri-hulls on Oneida.

Tri hulls were the first thing I thought of when I saw that name. There were a lot of them around.

Are they going to let you drill a bunch of holes in that boat to mount downrigers rod holders and fish finders etc. ? I am certain as long as the boat is sound there is no problem taking a 23 footer on lake O if it is a deep v or a modified v. Better make sure you can rig it without starting a family feud.

Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts or opinions are very much appriciated. Finally have the boat at my place. Needs a serious cleaning but hull seems real solid. Lots of little things need attention but just standard stuff ( finish wood, fix canvas mounts, vents, seals on windows, etc.) The guys and I had the muffs on it and the 4.3 runs mint but the bellows need replacing as their leaking. Trailer is good to go and the outdrive seems good to. no moisture was in the lower end. The mother in law wants rid of it now and will let it go to me for $4,000. Thoughts?

DCP_2344.jpg

DCP_2354.jpg

DCP_2387.jpg

DCP_2359.jpg

DCP_2346.jpg

DCP_2366.jpg

DCP_2369.jpg

Thanks

Dear TT,

90% of the US boat mfgs. went under in the early 90's due to the economy. Even Trojan went bankrupt. This boat would be excellent as a Big water trolling boat with the 4.3 Merc. , excellent fuel sipper! However, a 23ft. boat with a 4.3 is underpowered. They were sold with the 4.3's because the price was right! Many mfgs. did this to maintain a market that was rapidly dying. If you put some of your effort/labor into this boat and clean it up, you won't be sorry. If the U-Joint bellows is leaking, get it replaced. Best guy around is Bob Cario @ Pugsleys in Ontario, NY. The unknown parts that are in suspicion are the U Joints & gimbal bearing. he will advise you on what condition they are in and is HONEST! This can get expensive in a hurry. $4000.00 is a high price right now for the boat. If only the bellows needs replacing, I would say $3000 is a fair market price. If this boat has been stored a long time, beware of the fuel tank gremlins! Just remember that an I/O requires more maintainence $$$ in its lifetime and is the most expensive way to propel your way thru the water!.....Sincerely Jet Boat Bill

P.S. You didn't see Mercruiser go belly up! Wait to you see their prices for parts! They have survived all these years based upon the parts business!

I have the a Sea Sprite 196, looks same as yours only blue & 19' it's a 1986 with Mercrusers wonderful 170 (yea right). I just upgraded to a 1999 23' SeaSwirl with 225 Johnson. As others have said the maintence on the IO is higher, mine had water in the gas (still have the water seperator to install), it was a good boat to us though. We out grew it (wife & 3 boys it gets cramped). I bought it at a marina with warranty for $ 3300 in 2001, so I would think its over priced @ $ 4000.00, needing belows (I had mine done & it was $ 700 two years ago, a good friend owned a marina at the time, he has since sold & moved to Florida).

I had a 22' Fiberglass Imperial with the 205HP 4.3 Merc V6 in it. I thought that was a very nice combo, good power, good on gas, so I wouldn't think that this Sea Sprite would be all that underpowered seing that this V6 has a 4 barrel carb on it to build more power.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. Question. When you had it in the water how was it? How was it handling & attitude wise on the lake? The way I see it,if I can pick it up for $3K and then put say $4 - 5K into it to where I have fixed all the major items( outdrive, steering, bellows, gas tank, seating, canvas etc.) then I know what I've got. Boat with all fresh equipment for around $8 K and the knowledge of what is what. Spend $8K on another boat that is supposedly turn key and you still don't know the history, you are playing the lottery, right? The only difference is the name on the side and the word of mouth from the prevoius owner. I don't know? Still toying with the idea of picking it up and making a project of it for my reintroduction to boating on the lake. Thanks for the input.