Smoker Brine

Adirondack Smoker Brine

I smoked up about 20# of salmon today after soaking overnight in a new improved brine recipe I adapted from an older one. Came out fineeeeeeeeeeee. A very mild flavor with just an after-hint of zing on the palate.

Adirondack Smoker Brine
From My Adirondack Way of Cooking
by muskybob

2 Tbs. Garlic Powder
2 Tbs. Kosher Salt
1 Tbs. Cayenne Pepper
1 Cup Brown Sugar
64 Oz. Apple Juice
2 1/2 Tbs. Hot Sauce
3 Tbs. Lime Juice
½ Cup Soy Sauce
2 Tbs. Old Bay Seasoning

No need to rinse these fillets after removing from the brine. Allow to air dry for about an hr. till pellicle forms. Smoked with hickory chips on low temp for 5 hrs.

MSMx9.jpg

I'll try it out Bob, when I get home this weekend. Sounds like a recipe I used to use a long time ago that used Schwaber's hot sauce in it. How long did you apply the smoke,?

a couple hours I find is about right for my taste. I used to smoke my fish too long and it ended up sometimes having a bitter taste to it. So I use only 2 pans of chips in my Big Chief electric cabinet, and the rest of the time is spent drying to my favorite level. I like Cherry and Apple wood mix for smoke. Hickory is good too. Mesquite in the BBQ when grilling, makes it have that steak flavor. :mmm: OK now I want :beer: ....Darn I gotta wait another 5 days after 30 already out here away from home ;(

Mark

Mark, It was about 2 hrs for the smoke to dissipate. I used hickory this last time, but I've made it before with a combination of apple & maple or pear & apple. Any fruit wood will suffice for smoking fish. Ya just gotta experiment with what tastes best to you at the time. I keep my smoking time to the minimum because like you say it can get overpowered pretty quick and ruin a good batch. You also have to experiment with the amount of hot sauce to use for your liking.

I have a Brinkman electric that holds 3 racks. I also use the brine instead of water to fill my water pan to keep the fish moist.

Dang, now ya got me thinkin about it so I guess I gotta go break up a couple of chunks again. Btw, it tastes real good on top of a salad.

• 2 weeks later...

Four mature king fillets are in the fridge and marinating. Tomorrow will be in the smoky cabinet. Let ya know how it turns out. Made the recipe to the exact specs using Louisiana Hot sauce. Only difference is the Old Bay I had was the lemon and herb mix, but I think it will be OK. Apple and Cherry mix for the smoke.

Mark

Tried this recipe for the lake trout caught on Cayuga. I must admit-normally I am so happy to find someone to take the lake trout we catch on Cayuga that are hooked to deep to release. Now I have a reason to keep a few on occasion. We did a batch last week and it was Phenomenal! Thanks for sharing it!

Mower

And the fish is out of the smoker this morning at 5AM. However the Big Chief finally coughed it's cookies and quit heating with the electric element. I took the fish inside the house and finished the drying stage in the oven set at 150 degrees for another 1 1/2 hours. Made the whole house smell goooood :lol:

OK just got back from derby fishin and tried it out and it is very very good! A few days in a ziplock just a little open in the fridge and it will be even better. Sent some home with the kids, they liked it too! Guess I got to go find a new element for the smoker. It lasted for probably 20 years and finally croaked.

Mark

I recommend this to everyone, Thanks for sharing Bob :yes::beer:

We tried this smoker brine this past weekend with our rainbow and lake trout filets, simply sublime.

I made a nice sandwich for lunch today, 8" baguette with mayo and thin sliced tomato and smoked trout, awesome.

Dang, you're makin me hungry. Glad ya liked it. :yes:

• 1 month later...
Hey muskybob,

Should I remove the skin from the filets before brining? Any difference in the finished product if the fish was frozen and thawed before brining?

Thanks

I always remove the skin, but some guys don't. I also thaw my fillets before brining. Hope this helps and you enjoy it.

• 6 months later...

I smoke a lot of lakers & they really are a great fish to smoke b/c they are oily, like whitefish, but don't freeze em b4 you smoke them! Freezing high oil content fish denatures the oil & they come out kind of funky (and it's not a 'good' kind of funky either). -Andy