Smoker Brine

It sounds like a fantastic recipe. I just got a smoker and already tried some brookies that I caught flyfishing. It took only 40 minutes.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Thanks Darter, can't wait to hear how ya liked it. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Bob's recipies are always good!!

I'm going to give that a whirl over the Labor Day weekend up at our camper.

My new Masterbuilt hasn't had any fish in it yet, but I'm going to change that.

The brine in the pan with that apple juice sounds great!!

Try not to use a metal pan for brining. A plastic container works best. ;)

Try not to use a metal pan for brining. A plastic container works best. ;)

Bob,

The brine in the water pan, in the smoker, is what I thought of being a great idea. :yes:

Now that you mention about the plastic container for the actual brining makes sense. :)

• 2 weeks later...

IMAG0768.jpg

adult image host

IMAG0769.jpg

image hosting

Ok finished product now out of the smoker and it is like Bob said,....finnneeeee!...81/2 hr in the big chief....by the way the Beam is not part of the recipe, but sure goes good while waiting for the finished product...and as a compliment to the goodness!

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Dabbled with this recipe this weekend. I"m a big fan of apples, so instead of apple juice, I used cider, as well as a bunch more hot sauce. In a word? Amazing. It's not too often you have a chance to eat smoked sweet appley spicy hot fish. Def doing this again. thanks musky!!

;) Glad you liked it. I use apple cider instead of juice myself, but use the juice when I'm lazy & don't want to go to the orchard for fresh. Winter time is a great time to smoke fish. Gives me something to do to break the cabin fever. :beer::beer::beer:

• 2 months later...
any reason you guys use a brine and not a Rub? I am new to smoking and have been using a rub to do mine and people seem to love it

I haven't tried a rub however I would think it would cause a drier product and would not form the pellicle which is the beginning of the carmelization of the sugars and helps preserve the meat. It's just easier to get flavor and moisture throughout the thickness of the meat and for the smoke to penetrate into the meat better with the moisture. I have sprinkled on some different seasoning during the smoke or just before the smoke. Black pepper for a little bite, red chili flakes for more bite. Italian seasoning for a unique taste.

Marinades are just a good way to get the base flavor into the meat, for example terriaki with soy and worcestershire. A sweet taste like here with the Apple juice. Hot marinades made with pepper sauces, etc etc.

Mark

I went on a quest to find a honey smoked salmon recipe after having some of my silvers and sockeye done in Soldotna Alaska and while the owner will not give out his recipe no matter how much I begged I have found this to be a pretty tasty substitute. Copied and Pasted off another site.

Honey Smoked Salmon

Brine:

¾ cup honey

10 allspice berries

2 bay leafs

½ cup sea salt

4 oz rum

15 peppercorns

10 cloves

¼ cup lime juice

1 quart water

6oz ALDER chips (do not use Cedar)

1 large salmon fillet (about 2lbs)

Marinate fillet in brine for atleast 3 hours. Pat dry and air dry for ½ hour. Smoke as the directions of your smoker, but use the highest grill and temperature should be about 160. It will take about 1 ½ hours. Serve warm for greatest flavor, but chilled also works well.

Denny Buhlman

Sisters, OR

Gotta thank the west coasters for this one....

Jason

• 2 months later...
I went on a quest to find a honey smoked salmon recipe after having some of my silvers and sockeye done in Soldotna Alaska and while the owner will not give out his recipe no matter how much I begged

Jason

Jason, here's a recipe I copied from the net years ago. I'm sorry but I can't remember where it came from, but it is very good. Alaskans call it Indian Candy Salmon:

· 1/2 Gallon of Water

· 1 Cup Pickling Salt

· 2# of the darkest, heavy-molasses type Brown Sugar

· 1 Cup real Maple Syrup

Clean and slice fillets of salmon (against the grain) into 1/2" slices.

Mix brine and soak salmon slices for 1 to 2 days.

To smoke, use a mixture of cherry, madrone ( it is good with alder substituted if you can't find madrone), and apple in a smoker and depending on the weather smoke from 8 hrs to 1-1/2 days (the colder the days the longer the smoke).

NOTE: halfway through the smoke, brush the salmon with a mixture of 3/4 Cup honey and 1/4 Cup water.

This is also great for beef and venison.

To help you figure out when it's done: the salmon is dry but not TOO dry and it break’s apart easily while retaining its shape. Don't go to the point of dry jerky, try to catch it just before.

Got a batch of browns brining as we speak. I tried something different this time and used citrus juice instead of apple cider. I also let them drain on a rack for about an hour after rinsing them & before brining. I hope they'll pick up more of the citrus flavor this way. I was also about a half inch from covering them in the brine, so I topped it off with a little port wine :$ which the alcohol will evaporate off in the smoker tomorrow. I'm using maple chips too. I'll let ya know tomorrow night how it turned out. ;)

PS: If I'm not loaded :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I smoked 2 one gallon bags of salmon with bobs brine and it is a huge hit to say the least! Thank you bob! Too bad I only have 1 gallon of fillet's left to smoke.

fyi: I used concentrated apple juice and the hot sauce I used was "red hot". I have never eaten smoked fish this good.