8/21 & 8/22 Port Bay Kingfest & New LOC Leader with Pics!!

Fishing Report

Your Name / Boat Name: Finders Keepers & Jimmy Rigger

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Date(s): 8/21 & 8/22

Time on Water: 6-10, 6-2

Weather/Temp: coudy & cool

Wind Speed/Direction: se 10-15, se 10 increasing to 20-25 out of NE

Waves: 1-2', 1-2' inc to 3-5's

Surface Temp: 72

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 13, 3

Total Boated: 7, 3

Species Breakdown: few browns, laker, rest kings

Hot Lure: white green dots spin doc/ultra glow green fly or superfly

Trolling Speed: 2.5-3.6

Down Speed: not yet

Boat Depth: 100 - 250 fow

Lure Depth: 40 - 120

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Sat. 8/21:

Got an early start with my dad and were setting lines by 6:15am. No sooner had I got all 4 rods set, the port side wire gets hammered and starts screaming out! :clap: After 200', line goes slack. ;( Reeled it in about halfway and the port side rigger fires and starts singing! Oh yeah, game on... line goes slack. :devil: Crap! 0 for 2. Set the wire, set the rigger, and the port wire goes screaming again! :clap: 100' out and line goes slack. :@ WTF!! Double checked the hooks, all sharp. Reset the wire and the port rigger fires again right in front of me, this time I grab the rod and give it a few good yanks to set the hook. Finally, we boat a nice 24 lb king. 8) Before I can get the fish out of the net, the port wire goes followed by the starboard wire - doubled up (with the 24 lb'er still in the net!)!! We end up landing a 12 lb king and 8 lb brown, now only one rod in the water. For the first 2 hours, this was the pace, then it slowed to a steady pick and several more screaming wires shots followed by dropped lines. We ended the day with a sweet 28.25 king that landed us in 9th place in the LOC at noon, but got bumped off by 4pm. However, we did have the largest fish for the PEDD Derby! 8) The screen was great, the fishing was hot, and we ended 7 for 13.

Here is the 24 lb king with the 28 on the scale:

2428lbKings-1.jpg

Sun 8/22:

Since the fishing was so hot yesterday, my brother and I headed out at dark o'thirty this am and headed to our previous day's honey hole. We set lines and were ready for the action... waiting... waiting... We had squat on the screen, and didn't move a rod for 2 hours... Hmmm... Then I happened to check the Instant Reports site and Billy V gave some temp info that made us alter our spread right quick... 5 minutes later the port rigger fires and we land a small laker. Just after setting back up, the port wire goes screaming!! :clap: GAME ON!! We circle this king twice and it feels HEAVY!! We get it to the back of the boat and realize we have it hooked 5 inches back on the top! with its head acting as a rudder, it took another 15 minutes to get him in the net - nice 25 lb'er. We get set back up and head back through our waypoint and the starboard wire starts pounding, like it's trying to test the breaking strength of our rod holder!! :P My brother's on the rod and fights this thing like a champ, saying "I think it's a decent fish". As it surfaces behind the boat, I can see this thing is a PIG!! :clap: It came to the boat nice and easy and I scopped it into the net, thinking upper 20's. My first attempt to bring it over the back of the boat failed and I realized it was a bit bigger than we thought - wrapped the net over my shoulder and heaved the beast into the 4' cooler and it filled it! :o It had inhaled the fly and nicked one of its gills when I got the hook out. So it was a quick look on our scale: bouncing between 32 and 34 (our scale tends to be about a pound on the light side), then a mad dash to pull lines and head in to Sodus Point. Hit the scales at 34.15 lbs and is currently the new LOC leader!! :yes::yes::clap:

3415LOCLeader.jpg

We then headed back out to our waypoints in hopes to find another LOC fish, only to be greeted by increasing NE winds and a non-existant bite. We gave it our best until 2pm without moving a rod, when we decided to call it a day.

This fish had a huge girth, although since we were holding it under its belly it looks a lot skinnier. It looks to also have won the day for the PEDD Derby - two days in a row for us!! 8) We then headed back out to our waypoints in hopes to find another LOC fish, only to be greeted by increasing NE winds and a non-existant bite. We gave it our best until 2pm without moving a rod, when we decided to call it a day. HUGE props go out to Billy V for sharing the temp info!! THANKS BILL!!! :yes:

We'll be looking to get out every day this week weather/waves depending.

Awesome fish Tim! I'm glad I could help with the temp info - that's why we built LOT - to help guys out with real time information. Glad to see it helped you cash a check and become the LOC leader! I owe you a debt of thanks for your information in your reports the last couple of weeks too - I haven't been able to get out much during the week and your reports have served as a great starting point for us each weekend. Thanks for posting them!

Wow.....what a dandy!!! Tim, and crew, dynomite job staying on those kings for almost 2 weeks now...You guy's didn't just crack that 30 lb. mark, you blew it away !!!...34.15 LBS !!!! Again i'll say it Tim, Keep on 'em.... and i guess your lookin for a 38 or 40 now !! ....Go Get 'em !!!!.......choo-choo steve

Yeah, that's the biggest king we've boated since '99, when we landed a couple 36 lb'ers. So now we're looking for a new record fish for us: 36+ lbs. A 40+ lb'er would be sweet... 8) I'm still trying to figure out how we will get a fish that big in the boat - both my dad and brother have back issues, so it will be up to me to hoist it over the stern. I'm banking on an adrenaline rush from seeing a fish that big in the net!! :P