small spin doctors

Mostly a springtime coho paddle. Try 15-20" length leader. I have caught steelhead and small kings on them also. I am experimenting with them on bigger fish right now. Double orange crush 6" spinny with a small blue/green fly is a coho killer.

If you are going to put some down and target big kings, buy the white/double crush glow ones and try bumping up the speed a little. Normally, guys will run at 2.4 mph-2.7 with 8" spin docs, but the 6" version spins in a smaller arc so less fly whip/action.......speed it up if they are streaking but not hitting.

Definitely a good coho paddle, but we did take a top 5 at a Sodus Pro Am when we were on the Am side with a 5" green spinny. We fished it off a SWR rig, and it took a lot of our kings. General rule is that your leader should be 3 times the length of the spinny.

ive seen em take some good fish. a friend of mine turned me on to em last year running them from copper we landed a 23 pound chrome king on the 5 incher with a peanut fly. tiny baits and yet that king crushed it and didnt slow down. i have been having luck on the 8 inch assasins so havent played with the 5 inch spinny yet. come labor day the copper will hit the chute and ill use em for that application.

I mostly fish lakers here in central PA .....I had Shane from DW make me a bunch custom baby spin Doctors and bang lakers on them all year long with the smaller Michigan Stinger Scorpion spoons ....we al;so used them Memorial Day weekend on Seneca and crushed the Lakers

Hey Polarbear are you using the baby docs with the scorpion off riggers or wire?

I have used the baby doc in orange with hammer fly off wire and copper on Canandaigua Lake but no takers, I always figured a bow or brown might gobble it up but not yet. I will give it a try with the scorpion spoons next time. How long of a leader from doctor to spoon? Would it be as Yankee Troller stated 3 times the length of the spinny? I know that is the general rule for flasher fly combo but not sure about spoon behind an attractor.

• 3 weeks later...

I run these w/ smaller flies, either trim the normal size flies to 1/2 length or get a few coho candy sized flies (just single treble) We have caught some LL and Bows on these from early spring till late fall. I'll run these on 300 copper/ high rigger or shallow on the wire. It is my go to presentation when times are tough.

One thing is I do wish our SD manufactors would paint these in the more poplar colors. Maybe the right person will read this???

if you give DW a call im sure they will paint you up whatever you like... i have had DW paint me up some custom 8in spinnys on more than one occasion

Willie at Dreamweaver will paint you anything you want .......