Wire for Dipsy Rods

I recently snagged a new pair of Okuma blue diamond 10' wire rods and now I'm looking to match them with some reels and wire. Just wondering what everyone's suggestions are for reels and wire. Before "the incident" and all our discussions got wiped out, there was a post with info on wire that cost $.03/ft. I would like to get that website/link again.

Thanx! Only 3.5-4 months to go....

Tim.

"Finders Keepers"

This is the wire I have been using for three years now. Excellent!

P/N: 3458T11

Type 302 Stainless Steel Wire Rope 1 X 7 Strand, 1/64" Dia, 40# Break Strength

In stock

Quantity Per Ft.

1-99 Ft. $0.05

100-299 0.04

300 or more 0.03

http://www.mcmaster.com/

The reels I run and Diawa Sealine 47LC can't beat them. Alot of guys have been running the new shimano tekota line counters as well. I have heard great things about them but they are a little pricey. Good luck

• 1 month later...
This is the wire I have been using for three years now. Excellent!

P/N: 3458T11

Type 302 Stainless Steel Wire Rope 1 X 7 Strand, 1/64" Dia, 40# Break Strength

In stock

Quantity Per Ft.

1-99 Ft. $0.05

100-299 0.04

300 or more 0.03

http://www.mcmaster.com/

The reels I run and Diawa Sealine 47LC can't beat them. Alot of guys have been running the new shimano tekota line counters as well. I have heard great things about them but they are a little pricey. Good luck

Dang, prices are up to .07, .05, & .04 I should have ordered before Christmas. ;(

If you scrounge around you can find Mason brand wire line.Buy the 1000 ft spools. Last yr. I respooled with new mason wire[ive always used mason]One spool was silver colored wire one was brownish colored wire.The silverish colored one attracts less fleas than the other.I also seem to do more fish on it.

We had this discussion on the other board but its very important to get the line tight on the reels. I roll out the spool tie it to a tree and reel it on the spool.Its hard to crank in 1000ft with steady tension on the line.Then go out in the lake and tie on a 1lb weight let it all the way out .Put the boat in gear and reel it in against the pressure of the boat going forward. Nothing is worse then getting a loose loop under wire that is tight on top.

I usually respool my wire rigs every year. This yr I think Im just going to reverse the wire off one reel on to the other.

I had a few fish stretched out over 700ft last yr.So you need the 1000 ft.

You will like the blue diamonds if you have enough room room in the back of the boat to handle a 10ft rod. I run the 9ft leaders behind the dipseys Ill do fish on days other guys wires are not fireing.

I give the tekotas a a+ .

Buy the strongest rodholders you can find.

Retie the wireknots every couple times out.

DONT beat me in a derby with my own info.

Thanx for the info! ;) Although I cannot guarantee the 40+ lb'er won't end up on Finders Keepers this fall! 8)

We run 11' Heartland downrigger rods, so the Blue Diamonds should be no problem, and we have stainless rod holders bolted to our rigger board (my dad used to be a system admin for a stainless manufacturing company). I am hoping to get the Dekotas if I can swing the $300+ for them this spring. Maybe I can get my dad to pitch in half.

I just can't wait to get back out on the big pond!! :P

Buy the strongest rodholders you can find.

Retie the wireknots every couple times out.

DONT beat me in a derby with my own info.

haha...now that was funny! :lol:

Im with you guys, I cant wait to get back out there!

Chris,

I use the 30lb seven strand on 47lc's. A 1000 feet spool will fill a 47 up with no backing needed. I tie the wire to the spool and then put a piece of electrical tape on the knot and wind it on as tight as you can. When you get out on the boat put a 1 lb weight on it and let out of the line and reel it back in while the boat is in gear as sated here before. I am upgrading to sg 's this year so I will be rewiring myself. Good Luck.

Rich

Hey Chris,

I am also new to the wire rods, however I was able to get some experience this past summer. From what I have heard and learned so far, the 7 strand braided seems to be a favorite wire to use with little troubles, and for rods, I have heard that you can use the Heartlands, but you need to keep an eye on the eyelets for wear and replace as necessary. You will also have to replace the tips on the rods with "twilly" tips. I went with the Blue Diamond rods right off the bat which are made for wire line to avoid the eyelet issue.

Either way, they definately produced when we ran them last year!

we were new to wire last year and with the great help of board members we got set up with heartland 9'6" dipsy rods and diawa sealine 47lc reels, I ended up getting 7 strand 30# malin line and it has worked very well for us.

We will replace the tips with twilli tips when we notice the originals wearing out, which hasn't happened yet. if I get bored I might just install the new tips one of these cold winter nights.

Wire was a better producer for us than our riggers last year, by almost a 2 to 1 ratio.

Ive been running wire probably 8yrs or so. There is something about it that attracts fish. I catch a lot of fish off the riggers but my best fish seem to come off the wires.Back when I fished the fingerlakes I made up a wire seth green rig. It was smokin hot. Ive changed my style now Im not after numbers ,Im after size.

As far as wire goes 300 ft back a 2.5 setting on the dipsey seems to be a good starting point.Everywhere I go. Thats a lot of cranking. to bring your stuff in to check for weeds or change lures.I figure it gets me down 80 to 90 ft with the stuff I pull.I figure If I can go down 80 they can come up 20.

A fast retreve ratio makes a hell of a difference. ,git ah tekota.

Lots of interest in leadcore lately on the board. Ive been thru that cycle before also.If it catches fish for you thats great. I caught fish on it but finally decided it wasnt worth the hassle. If I hooked a good fish on the wires or the riggers it always ended up getting wrapped up in the leadcore.If leadcore seems to be the only thing taking fish this yr Ill get it back out in a heartbeat. Im not antileadcore it was just a big hassle.

Jolley you going to be fishing out of Hughes this yr?

I have had great success with wire also, why? I have no idea. I do however have my own take on wrapping the line on tight. I send it all the way out with a large dipsey w/ring and reel in the dipsey while its set. Just have to remember to tighten teh release before you send it out. Its a great job for those that like to fish with me but have a hard time coming up with gas money! 8)

That Berkley wire looks pretty good. I wonder how kink resistant it really is? Anyone have any experience with this versus the McMaster? The Berkley is more expensive, that's for sure. I also wonder if the coating would be better or worse for the fleas? :roll: What do you guys think?

I think I am still leaning towards the McMaster and putting the $$ saved towards the Tekotas! :P

• 2 months later...

I just looked into the McMaster wire and they only offer sections up to 500' in length. I shot them an email and they said for a 1000', I would receive 2 500' sections. Has anyone ordered from them before and is it possible to get 1000' sections? If not, anyone know where I can get 1000' sections? Thanx!

McMaster has always sold the wire I've used in 1000' lengths. Are you looking up part number 3458T11? For what it's worth, they've increased their price to $.04/ft, so it's now less expensive to buy it elsewhere. I think Capt. Gary's had it on sale for something like $33/1000' spool. I haven't bought from McMaster in a while.

Going to order from Vinnie today from Capt. Gary's. It seems to be the cheapest I have been able to find. I saw that at McMasters also, was kind of disappointed. Oh well, will spend the $$ some where else.

Rich