Wire for Dipsy Rods

Thanks fellas!! ;) Looks like it'll cost a bit more than the McMaster, but what's new, right? :roll: I assume I want the "Malin 7 Performed Seven Strand SS Leader Wire". Now, would you recommend the "Bright" or the "Coffee" colored wire and do you prefer 30# or 40# wire??

I think I am leaning towards the 40#, but need opinions - especially on color! :o

Howies Tackle has Malin available in the 1000' spools, they ALSO have it in 10,000' bulk spools if you use it a lot or want to go in with some buddies on it.

The 1000' spools are $38, but the 10,000' spools are $225, so if you can find a use for it, the bulk spool is definitely the way to go.

http://www.howiestackle.com/acatalog/Malin_Line.html

Tim

Ok, now that I have the Tekotas and the wire, what is the best way to spool the wire and how do you initially attach the wire to the spool - is it safe to use a crimp or simply bend the wire around the little knob and use tape? Once attached I plan on using the weight method in the lake to re-spool the wire nice and tight.

I have my own to spool yet, but I've been told to first wrap the spool (arbor) with tape, then tie the wire on with a regular arbor knot and reel, reel, reel. Be careful if you're letting all the wire out on open water. you might lose the whole spool if you're not paying attention. :D

Yeah, we're hoping to get out of Port Bay, maybe not from the south end launch by my parents, but I would think the north end should open up enough. If it's not open though, we may trailer over to Sodus. One way or another we'll try to get the boat wet this weekend! ;)

I'm actually initially more worried about making it up the swamp this weekend for bullheading! There's nothing more relaxing than listening to the spring peepers in the still of the night while throwing bullhead in the boat.... that's when I think about and form my best arsenals for the open waters on the lake!! ;)

If your not in a hurry to by wire keep an eye on Dicks sp. goods. I bought two 1000ft.spools of Mason seven strand for 27.00 a spool early last year.I couldn't grab it fast enought when I saw the price. By the way, I was trolling and reached over and put the dipse reel in free spool to let out more wire, at the same time a salmon hit it. The backlash was so bad all I could do was hang on till the fish riped off. Should have thumbed the spool first. Oh well. Had to cut the wire off. BTW 600ft. of wire isn't enought.Had one spool 600ft. and break the backing at the knot. I know it was a bad knot but if I had a 1000ft it wouldn't have happened. It cost me $30.00 for wire + a dipse + a dodger+ fly. Thats about $60.00 out the window. Some times more is less. Have a good season!!!!!