Jigging Recommendations

CANUCK......Are you really using 4# leaders ? WOW. I'm in the 10 lb fluoro camp. Am I doing something wrong ? Can you really deal with the 10 pounders with the attitude down 80 feet ? Good going......learn something every day and stay young !

Yup on a 4lb leader I have a 6 on another rod but I like the feel as long as you don't horse them up from the deep you will be good to go.

I wouldn't jig deeper than 100 either there should be a need, the active fish should be 60-80 regardless of depth. At least that what I have found. Tight Lines gang!

There are 'active' fish(lakers) in water from 50-400. In deep water the 'active' lakers suspend from 50-140, lakers deeper than 130 or so are typically not active. In 60-100, there are active and inactive fish from the surface to the bottom. Jigging in 60-70FOW is easier b/c you can use jigs that are less than 1oz, which give you a better feel for non tensioned strikes which can be as subtle as a crappie's 'tick'. 1 oz jigs are the norm for 70-80FOW b/c you want to get your 'drops' to the bottom b4 you start drifting away from your drop origin point. When you start having a lot of angle in your drop it's hard to keep tension on the downward bounce of the 2-3 jig bounces b4 retrieval. To jig in 90-120 you need to use 1 1/2 oz jig heads for the same reasons stated previously.

Since I and many others typically release many of the lakers we get jigging I would strongly recomend you use a 8-10lbFC leader. A 10lb leader will last much longer and allow you to bring in the fish b4 it is mortally exhausted. If you use a proper jigging technique to illicit a good instinctive strike you don't need a really thin leader anyway, remember you don't want to jig up and down repeatedly- don't let the fish have much time to decide whether to strike or not, that's the key to this technique.

Good info on the instinctive strike technique Chowder. I agree, not letting the jig stay at one depth for only a couple of jigs seems to work better for me.

Because of the recomendations from guys on here I have been using 8lb. fireline with about a 6' leader of 10 lb. flourocarbon on a fairly stiff baitcast pole. Works good so far.

Saturday looks to be sunny and decent. anybody going to be out on Cayuga? from Long Point area South?

I am going to hit the area just north and south of Don's Marina in the morning. saw lotsa bait there last week end. And I am going to try once again the jiggin if the wind is down or a trollin.

later in the day going for more 10-12" perch in 24' of water off the points. it's been good. minnows of course.

Saturday looks to be sunny and decent. anybody going to be out on Cayuga? from Long Point area South?

I am going to hit the area just north and south of Don's Marina in the morning. saw lotsa bait there last week end. And I am going to try once again the jiggin if the wind is down or a trollin.

later in the day going for more 10-12" perch in 24' of water off the points. it's been good. minnows of course.