Surface Temp: 60/62

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 3

Total Boated:2

Species Breakdown:Steelhead

Hot Lure: Yellow coho dodger with orange dream weaver ss with green herring bone

Trolling Speed: 2.2/2.5

Down Speed: 1.9/2.8

Boat Depth: 560 FOW

Lure Depth:40/60

We ran out from Rochester and launched at Captains Cove. Next time we will launch closer to the outlet.Once on the lake we went straight to the 29 line using the twitter info,but once there, the screen showed an eerie emptiness.We found 42/43 degree water about 65 foot down and parked a wonder bread spindoctor with a green fly down there and a Mag NBK on the other rigger at 50. the copper went out 400 feet with a green spindoctor pulling a kevorkian and the planer board went out with 10 colors leadcore pulling a yellow coho flasher and the orange dream weaver.

There was silence until around 4.15 pm.Then we went on the north-west troll we had our first hit on the leadcore but we were late due to sleepiness in the sun and we lost it.We started making more north west and south east trolls and a little bit later on the north west troll we had another hit which yielded a nice 5 pound steely again on the leadcore. Then the real one came by,north west again.It hit the leadcore like a steam train and almost instantly broke the surface while jumping and shaking. It broke the line,but just kept on trashing on the surface.So we turned the boat, hurried back and netted it.On the scale it made slightly under 16 pounds,which is nice for a steel head

In short we can now truly tell the story about the one that got away but we caught it anyway.Tomorrow it will join us for dinner.

Cornelis.

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

I did some homework on the why and how of this break off and a more experienced fisherman would have prevented this from ever happening.

My mistake was having the leadcore in the clip.The clip probably caused the lead wire to break and the ends must have rubbed the braid housing thereby damaging it.The break off was at the point where it had been in the clip.The fish was dragging about 300 feet of line + dodger and lure and was still fighting and trying to throw the hook on the surface when it was netted.

From here on I will put a few feet of 50 or 80 pound dacron braid between the leadcore and the super braid backing.From now on the clip will go on the dacron which is thick enough to hold well in the clip while super braid is too thin and just slips out.

Cornelis

Cornelis,

If you don't want to run a full core behind the planer board, you can put a rubber band on the lead core, using a larkshead knot, which then will go into the release. With a smasher like that fish, the damage will happen to the rubber band rather than to your lead core. When fighting the fish you can just reel the rubber band into the reel and worry about that later when you're resetting the rod.

I do the same thing for when I run copper on the boards, but the rubber band gets tied to the Power Pro backing, as I run all the copper in the water when being pull from behind the boards.

I hope this helps.

Chris