8/28 Finders Keepers FHC Report... (with Pic)

Fishing Report

Your Name / Boat Name: Finders Keepers

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Date(s): 8/29

Time on Water: 6-12

Weather/Temp: sunny warm

Wind Speed/Direction: sw 10-15

Waves: 1' chop to 4' swells

Surface Temp: 70

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 4

Total Boated: 3

Species Breakdown: Kings

Hot Lure: Green Echip green fly, silver bullet j-plug

Trolling Speed: 2.1 - 3.0

Down Speed: 2.5 (I love probes! :$ )

Boat Depth: 60-75 fow

Lure Depth: 45-65

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

My dad and I made a decision to pre-fish the FHC on Friday down in front of Oswego, since the fishing had shut down near Sodus/Port Bay area. Set-up over 80 fow and before I could set the 2nd rigger, the first fired with a 12 lb king down 38' on a green/white echip w/ ultra green glow fly. Then we washed lures (and lots of them) for the rest of the day until we called it at 2pm. That didn't look too promising for the FHC, so we were thinking about returning to our favored area in front of Sodus for the challenge on Sat. At the dock we got word that the fish had turned on over 100 fow near the mud line just east of the river, and later I heard of some ok reports from east of the river. Plus later I heard some poor reports from Sodus, so we decided to return to Oswego for the Challenge.

On Sat. we set-up just east of Oswego over 80 fow and worked the mud line eastward towards the nuke plant. In front of the nuke plant we pulled along side team Screamer, who soon thereafter pulled lines and cruised towards the Salmon River. We had a decent screen, so we stayed put. We didn't move a rod until we got near the nuke plant and heard on the radio of a few caught on j-plugs, so we through down a plain silver bullet on the 60' rigger. It wasn't down long before it fired and it was GAME ON!! About 15 minutes later we slid the net under huge brut that filled the 4' cooler and it was high-5's all around! Through it on the scale and this huge, snaggle-toothed male only weighed in around 28 lbs:

DSCN3547.jpg

Wish it was a female!! :P As we set back up, we saw several other boats hooked up in this same area, then our starboard wire got bit. Another 15 minute fight and we boated a 24 lb female. By this time a stampede of boats flocked into the area and it was bumper to bumper traffic, with boats hooking up right and left. We worked east-west through our waypoints and managed two more hits before the traffic shut down the bite. We landed an 8 lb king and lost a decent fish on the 50' rigger. We continued to work an area a mile or so east and west of the nuke plant and continued to see a boat here and there hook up, but not like the previous hour. We didn't move another rod, and when the wind started to pick up on top of the 4-5' swells, we decided to call it a day before it got nasty out there at noon. On the trip back the wind let up, so we could have stayed a bit longer, but we had that 28+ lb'er in the box and wanted to get it weighed in for the PEDD Derby. We weighed the fish in at Screwy Lou's in Fair Haven and it weighed in at 28.5 lbs on the PEDD scale (and 28.75 on the LOC scale). The Land Shark team was there and put one on the scales at 29+, and had a real good 6-fish box for the Challenge. They would go on to win the Challenge just edging the Screamer Team who placed 2nd and won the Challange Cup, and Atommik Team in 3rd. Congrats to Land Shark on the FHC win and the Screamer Team on the Challange Cup win!! :clap::yes:

We ended up placing 10th, and had we landed that 4th fish, would have moved up at least 4 or 5 places. :$ But that's fishing! It looks like we took the PEDD, which hasn't been won since my brother's 34.15 LOC fish last Sunday. It hasn't posted yet, so we have an inquiry into that, as it was up to $600 yesterday! :yes::yes: That will make 3 in a row on the PEDD board for us... 8)

Today is a day off for us to rest up for a busy week: we'll be out every day this week looking for that allusive 40 lb'er... Good luck to everyone on the last leg of the Fall LOC!! 8)

Covered the shorter waters 60 - 100 all morning off the plant.

A lot calmer today than yesterday 1ft and less .

Lot of other boats had the same idea.

Mainly smaller ones for us - 15 lbers all from the same mold.

All on paddles and atommiks - green dot/ green/ and chrome - wiith hammers 50-70 down

Fish were there but temp was not - lowest temp for us 60 down 80.