Overnight Salmon Fishing

I fished with a group of Captains from 10PM to 8AM last year on a full moon Friday night in the fall, not a fish landed, maybe two hits, had all the Moonshine lures going and nothing in the boat!

I would still try again, maybe not around the full moon.

I fished for trout and land locked in the Finger Lakes at night and it can be very succesful.The secret is in realizing that at night the entire food cycle happens a lot higher up in the column and not neccesarily in the ideal temperature range.

The micro organisms feed on or near the surface at night and bait fish follows them up,which in turn will bring the kings close to the surface.

It should be noted that around the times when the light changes is usually the ideal time to fish

I'll second what Zero Limit mentioned, we were skunked...Thankfully we got into the fish when the sun came out...

We set up during the sun setting with a near blank graph...What was once a blank graph then developed a solid 10' band of "something" that was not there before and it stayed with us until the sun-rose then slowly dissipated...Could only guess all the micro-organisms and the like...Also, the graph which was near barren was lit up with marks in and around that band that was much higher in the water column than anticipated due to knowing what the temperature was and where we had been catching them the last few days...

Was very fascinating and would not mind giving it another shot...

• 2 weeks later...