Engine hours

Gilly69

Hello,

I am looking at a couple of boats and I was wondering how many hours an engine is capable of running. I have found 2 Sea Ray Amberjacks that I really like but the better one has twin 305 Mercruisers which the starboard engine has over 3000 hours and the port engine has around 2000. This seems really high to me but the owner says they run great. I will absolutely do a compression test before I considered buying it but I was just looking for some input.

Thanks...

Dear gilly69,

Excellent boat for the great Lakes! I would be concerned also at 3000 hrs.

And the outdrives especially!! Repairing twin engine I/O boats can be most expensive. Sometimes exceeding the value of the boat! Tread very carefully!! BOAT stands for.....(Bring out another Thousand)

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill ( and former owner of a 270 AJ Flybridge)

At about 3000 hrs I needed my 305 chevy rebuilt at a cost of $2800 about 9 years ago. The next year I needed my Corba outdrive rebuilt at a cost of $ 3300 .I'd be leary . BOAT= Bust Out Another Thousand. That whole " Dry Hole in the water thing" always applies.

Your out drive gears and bearings will be about spent, even if the motors are great, go to sterndrive engineering price out what 2 of the bran new out drives will cost and then build that into the price. If the motors are good (compression checks out right) then your still looking at how old are the exahust systems they will be close to shot, but im betting they were replace at least 1x already so find out how old if they are origionals then you better figure them in as well... O and you will certianly want to replace the couplers at the back of the motor (this requires pulling the motor) so figure that in as well....

PK

Thanks for all the input guys, I would like to think maybe things have been replaced in the past and maybe there isn't that many hours on the engines and drives but I don't need a project boat right now either. Unfortunetly I cant tell the wear on the outdrives by looking at them. It doesn't sound like the guy has had the boat that long and who knows what previous owners have done to it. I have not heard back from him for almost a week now so I am still looking for a boat. I really like the layout of the amberjack's but there isn't a lot of them for sale. I currently have a wellcraft V20 which i like but I want a weekender cabin, so the search continues........

Thanks again guys!!!