missed em again

just got off the phone with a friend from millport a small town 6/7 miles upstream Catherine Creek at the southern end of seneca lake,,,bout 3 weeks ago him and his wife pulled about 200 lamphrey eelsoff the rocks behind there house in 2 days..told him to call next year when they run ill put on a glove and pull a few, seems like with that many in a 100ft streach of creek the DEC could go to the creek with a bunch of volenteers with smelt nets and use that shocker generator stun those critters and net out 1000,s tens of thousands in a day,no poison or chem .which helped cause the demise of smelt in seneca and cayuga ,,if anyone knows of a DEC person suggest this to them and maybe they could plan on it next year . seems like it would work but........

Chaos, my kids a DEC officer.

In the real world now. I probably should not put this in print but....

But the state needs money.The big push is for pollution fines,emissions etc.

They bring in the bucks.

Thats why I report on these boards.When people go fishing they need to catch fish.Or they will find something else to do. Fishing is dieing out. license sales are down. fewer people are fishing.So less and less attention is being given to fishing. Spill a little motor oil down a drain somewhere or burn a pile of junk and you will find a DEC officer,fish all summer and you will probably never see one.

the money thing kinda blows my mind ,heres why my parents neighbor gets about $72,000.00 a MONTH due to a gas well near his property as we know 1/3 or more goes to the tax man,thats 1 property off 1 well i dont know how many wells there are in the area but i would say these new wells must be generating millions every month in new tax money the state didnot have 5 years ago no need to bring up tax on gasoline...cut backs everywhere yet our senetors fly around in million dollar jets to have a dinner meeting ..ooops fishing forum sorry what do i know im justa plummer.......just think of what we could have with a little COMMON SENCE. I like fishing.

• 3 weeks later...

this mornings paper had a tax fig of 124 million last year on the gas wells give me 1 mill. to work with and a couple of chain gangs and we could make a diff. in this states fishery, but that would involve common sence and not ,envirermental impact,months of planning with the same results,58 people trying to decide what to do from a office 100's of miles away,decisions made on survays heck i caught more fish in one day last year than reported on the seneca lake survey,opps i forget im just a plummer what do i know...........(start at the old mercury plant in hammondsport and go upstream and ckeck out the main spawing stream for browns,rainbows,and landlocks in keuka lake) once or twice a year you will find a group of guys from avon deciding the best way to fix the problem.....give me a big dozer and front end loader and 200 gal fuel and ill have the problem fixed for the next 20 years in a week....throw in a couple groups of corrections work gangs and well be good for 40 years........I like fishing do you like fishing i pay your wages hello is there anybody there ,maybe we could spend 10 million on a foot path like the one along catherine creek that still ant open and gets used by 10's of people every year maybe 20 or 30 and i bet 1/2 on them dont fish or hunt (dont spend money on linceses) then once its built ya gotta maintain it or some tree hugger will trip and sue the state (us) ..............breath deep and go to work we need more tax money....

Ray-

I think you're being a little harsh on the catherine valley trail. I mean, in 10 or so years when that thing opens up I'll be able to park my car in the post office at veteran on rte 14, walk over that gorgeous steel bridge to Millport, by some "antiques" and then lug them all the way back to my car. Thanks to this project, that area will be thriving in no time, and I'm sure with the increased foot traffic, there will be much less trash thrown in and around the river.... :roll:

thanks for checking me up i almost went into a rage,,,,,,,,, with all the foot trafic on that path a 10 thousnd. cross walk light and some paint strips on the road would of left a lot of money (3mill for the closed overpath) for some handicap axcess to fish the creek,to fish many creeks in the state how sweet for a wheelchair bound person to roll up to a spot and fish, without having to be hauled in by his buddies .... hey its almost a holiday thanks to you guys serving be safe and come home soon ....... GOD BLESS AMERICA........