Canandaigua 8/30

Hit the south end drop off around 8:55 am, first hit at 9:00 am, only had one wire and 1 rigger set before the rigger set at 52 fired with a barely legal brown, I released her at the back of the boat in the water, at 9:10 starboard wire fires, but as soon as I grabbed the rod nobody home. Finally get 3 riggers with spoons and sliders set at 52, 62, 70. 2 starboard wire dipsies, 1 port wire dipsy and 1 300' copper. The dipsies were set at 150' on 1, and 150' on a 1 and 270 on a 3. We encountered way too many weeds and junk to make it easy out there from white rock to past Whiskey Point.. Constantly cleaning lines on the riggers but luckily the wires were staying clean. My wife and I had a couple youngsters out who we met at a picnic and their mom dropped them off before she went to work hence the late start. They had lots of questions and it was fun explaining to them what I was doing. They had just asked "have you ever broke a rod?" when the port dipsy with mtn dew spin dr and hammer fly fired, I grabbed the rod and was hooked up when I leaned back on the rod just to make sure the fish was buttoned and CRACK. Holy cow I just broke a rod! Worried about losing the dipsy and flasher/ fly I thought about trying to bring in the fish on a 2' stump and 2 line guides but my frugality won out over trying to keep the fish hooked and I pointed the rod straight back and reeled in slowly and didn't lose any gear but lost the fish. So now I switched another wire to mtn dew spinny and hammer fly, circled back to the same area and worked it again. The screen was not lit up but were seeing the hooks up and down the riggers but just couldn't get them to bite. By 10:30 we crossed over to the west side to work Seneca Point to Black Point, worked 160-270, (almost saw the elusive 274' deepest hole) as we worked east again. As the sun was cooking us I asked the boys if they wanted to start reeling the rigger rods at around 1:00 pm, I told them they can come out another time just as the starboard dipsy at 150' starts bouncing. Fish on they yelled, my wife woke up from her slumbers in the cuddy and took the helm, Chris started to reel in the copper to clear the back of the boat, mind you these two boys both broke there arms in their first football game of the season on Sunday. They were troopers, helping clear the lines and getting the net ready. As the fish got to the back of the boat, my wife went to scoop the fish, swing and a miss, Luke was driving now and Bonnie took another swing and a miss, now I am getting worried. The rainbow was getting to be under the swim platform, so I gave Bonnie the rod and I took the net, I told Luke to speed up and now the fish was out from the platform and I scooped up a beautiful silver sided girth laden rainbow, I hadn't weighed many fish this year but this one was weigh worthy, tipped the scale at 6 1/2 lbs. It sure looked bigger but was super exciting for all of us especially given the time of day. At the point the fish hit were a mile north of Vine Valley about a 1/2 mile from Long Point on the east side.

100_1188.jpg

100_1189.jpg

100_1189.jpg

100_1192.jpg

100_1194.jpg