Two Boating accidents on Seneca non fishing !!!

That really is sad news. But it just supports my feelings on a mandatory boating license, You can not legislate common sense. The lake was crazy rough yesterday and Don Roberts knew better than to be doing what he was doing, this really could have been avoided with just a little common sense. The two guys in the canoe....well......Darwin was right is all I have to say.

I've grown up around the Great lakes and Finger lakes all my life, you have to respect them. I Hope members just starting out on the water see these two accidents and think next time out.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.....guys please stay safe out there.

There was an accident last weekend on I bay. The driver impaled his very nice cruiser on a concrete buoy marker. Hit it dead on at about 9:30 at night. We saw it Saturday night coming in and it was tied up and under water Sunday am on the way out. Three were hospitalized. There are so few of these markers in the bay it's incredible to me that this driver scored a direct hit. I so disagree about your suggestion for a "mandatory boating license". Is that just one more layer of additional BS just to fish with my boat. You can't teach some people anything. Spend a weekend on Ontario. The more money it seems you have, the dumber you are. Accidents will always happen.

Those channel markers can be hard to see if you are coming North from the South end of the bay. The flood lights at Mayers Marina make for a fun trip. If they slowed down, they would have been safer. Most boating accidents happen to very inexprirenced boaters. Yes some do happen to expeirenced boats but the majority are inexpeirence

Well it just goes to show you accidents happen to everyone. We all have made a bad decision a time or two. But one hopes the more experienced you get the fewer you would make. I have mixed feelings on a boaters liscence NY already controls us enough. My thought is it would only end up being a way for them to generate more revenue then blow the money on wasted gov't overspending. Oh well this is a good reminder to us all to play it safe!

TD

Those channel markers can be hard to see if you are coming North from the South end of the bay. The flood lights at Mayers Marina make for a fun trip. If they slowed down, they would have been safer. Most boating accidents happen to very inexperienced boaters. Yes some do happen to experienced boats but the majority are inexperience

Yes your right. That's why those of us that are paying attention and thinking are going <10 mph at night in the bay. How fast do you really need to go in the Bay at night anyway, Since the Coasties and the Sheriff call it quits at 8PM for the most part some feel that they can do speed runs in the bay at night. It happens every year. It's hitting the pier or a channel marker that seems to be the result. Some greenhorn in a fast pricey boat WITH MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS. I am pretty experienced on the Big Lake and the Bays. I have a 21' rig that is going the speed limit in the channel and on the bay. I am sorry that I get in way of the Wellcraters but that's the way it is. I doubt you will see my rig splashed against the pier anytime soon. I guess I should feel sorry for these fools, but I only feel sorry for the innocents that are hurt or killed by the fools behind more boat than they should ever be allowed to drive.

Sorry Guys, but its not ok for anyone to say he should of known better....Accidents do happen and its the way life is. Anyone of us could be setting our line in a rigger and tossed out of the boat by a wave and either be in a group for help or alone while the boat idles away, but honestly, how many of us where a life jacket alone? Also, what does a boating license have to do with anything? Look at how many car accidents there are? Speeding tickets? I mean come on... A license doesnt mean you can operate a boat or a car, just means someone paid money to take a paper test and go for a cruise with someone... but for the record... i have my boating license...

just stay safe...

Sorry fellas, re-read my post...I DO NOT want mandatory boating licenses in NY, It's simply another way to generate more funds for our friends in NYC. Once again, you can not legislate common sense, just take a ride down I-90 for proof. Half the people possessing drivers licenses don't belong behind the wheel of anything faster than a bicycle.

BTW, I knew Don personally, and this is a shame, if there are waves bigger than 6in, everyone wears a life jacket on my boat.

My condolences to the entire Roberts family.

I fish alone 25% of the time and wear a lifevest (belt) 85% , I forget to put it on some times..................Lake Ontario fishing I always fish with someone else and still wear one I can't swim real great just enough to get by...............but I've only been doing it for 5 years now and because of a post/ducssion like this...................it a personal choice we all make each time we go out on the water...........kids have them on all the time on my boat NO choice........

I was fishing about 3 miles north of the speedboat accident on Saturday afternoon. We saw the speed boats running around and then we saw the sheriffs boat go down but heard nothing on the radio. We only found out about the missing guy when we went to Lodi Point to trailer the boat and we were told of the accident. Sad, at that speed you should always weat a PFD.