Early goose

Goose opened on Sept 1 we got 19 that morning.

Two days later we got 12.

We are hunting cut hay lots that we've scouted and are using 3 dozen shell decoys and a few wind socks and a dozen silhouettes. Shooting out of layout blinds takes a little getting use to but can be very effective

jaeJr.jpg

Wrap the breasts in cheese cloth and smoke them @ 180-200 deg, w/ apple wood. I like to mop em' w/ a mixture of balsamic vinegar, beer and some olive oil. We took some geese last week and I did the breasts in the smoker like this- they make a great sandwich, actually kind of like roast beef.

Ended our early goose season hunting 5 times and killing 72 honkers. Started a batch of corned goose today using Morton Tender Quick, onion and pickling spice. Never tried it with goose but have made it from venison. Also made chili with Italian goose sausage and small chucks of goose breast, onions, peppers and tomatoes from the garden and kidney beans. Anyone who says they don't like geese should have a bowl! There are many ways that goose is very good. Just don't overcooked the breasts as they tend to be tough and a little livery. Rare is the way to eat plain breasts I also had some smoked and made into goose sticks but haven't tried it yet. Have a bunch of thigh and leg meat to grind for more sausage.

For those of you that have never done corned goose breasts, try it and you will agree its some of the best stuff on the planet. I get a big kick out of people who say "geese are greasy and livery." OK, if you shoot some just hand the breasts over to me. And, by the way, don't ever throw away the legs. In my opinion leg meat is better than the breast meat.

For those of you that have never done corned goose breasts, try it and you will agree its some of the best stuff on the planet. I get a big kick out of people who say "geese are greasy and livery." OK, if you shoot some just hand the breasts over to me. And, by the way, don't ever throw away the legs. In my opinion leg meat is better than the breast meat.

Agreed! :yes: In fact, now that I think of it I have some late season goose breasts still in the freezer. Corned goose shredded on rye bread with some horseradish.....OMG!

Sure!!!! now I have to go out and buy a dam duck stamp..and steel shot..and decoys and a pretty black flag and what ever else I'd need to pretend I'm a goose hunter. Oh the heck with it, I'll just go by a corned beef and pretend it goose. :(:(