Anyone hear of this ????????

Hello all,

Anyone ever hear of a device called a QUEG fishfinder? From the description of this thing it is a small black unit about 3"x 2"x .5". When lowered into the water and retrieved reads the maximum depth and temp at 5' intervals back to the surface.... Any good? Where would you purchase one? I have heard that Cabela's carried this thing last year but no longer.... It is made in Germany and was imported through Koch Measurment Devices in NC.

Thanks

Chuck

I have one, and it worked for awhile but now it just seems to eat batteries, or has some internal issue. It was cool to let it out hooked to dipsy and let it out slow until desired amount of line out. Let it sit for a bit and then reel it in and see what depth it achieved and what the temp was. The instructions said you could clip to your line and let it sink no weight but it would take forever. It was easier to clip line to rigger and lower to say 75' and check temp. If you really want to know down temp and speed get a probe, much easier, real time display but costs more. Well worth the money though.

I used to have a QUEG fishfinder thermometer but it quit working. I'd lower it on a rigger. I tracked down the company in NC, but they don't make them anymore. So, I bought a "Vexilar Deptherm".

It works like this: dropped on a line, growing pressure forces water into the tube as the instrument descends. The volume of water trapped in the tube serves as a depth measurement column and is read off the side of the tube calibrated in feet. The thermometer on the other side assures close temperature readings if the instrument is left down for 30 seconds.

General Application - Attach the Deptherm to line and let sink to bottom or any intermediate depth. Hold there for 30 seconds and return to surface. Read depth on the calibrated side at the top of the water column and temperature off the temperature plate. Invert instruments; press valve to release water. Shake until all water is out before using again.

Downrigger Application - Clip the Deptherm Model 104 to your downrigger ball for monitoring water temperature and depth at the downrigger. When raising the ball for re-rigging, check the temperature and depth. Temperature readings on the Deptherm will not change while ball is being raised due to a delayed reaction (1 to 2 minutes).

Check it out at: http://www.vexilar.com/products/deptherm.html

• 4 weeks later...

We still have one that we bought from cabelas and it is still working fine.

It is easy to use and fairly accurate. It is nice to weigh it down and slide it down the dipsy wire to get a true temp and depth reading, rather than having to guess with the 3 to 1 rule for wire and dipsys.

The Vexilar looks like a good idea too, we just can't see spending the money on a down speed and temp probe.

• 2 months later...

MJ

Just wondering and im sure everyone else is too, How accurate is the 3-1 ratio on the wire dipsies compared to what you found out using your device? Just curious.

I go by the Big Water Trolling depth curve for dipsies but was wondering how far off the 3-1 was? Marginal?

Jax

Jax and everyone else,

It all depends on your reel, line diameter and how full the reel is ( it affects the counter reading ), along with your actual speed, dipsy setting and probably 100 other things I am forgetting.

For us: sealine 47 LC with 100yards of 40 lb backer mono and 1000 feet of malin 7 strand 30 # wire with a regular large dipsy with a ring on it at 2.5 mph gps speed we have found that 3:1 is pretty close when you have between 150-250 out....the ratio gets better with less line out ie: it runs deeper than 3:1 with 120 feet of line out- probably 45 feet down. It gets worse once you get much past 250 feet of line out. For example 300 feet of wire out rarely gets to 100 feet deep - probably close to 90 feet but not much more.

Our PP rods run a bit shallower ( 30 # PP ) with the same dipsys and settings. 240 feet of line is right around 70-75 down as opposed to about 80 down with the wire.

alot depends on how full your reel is and your speed, I guess the amount of drag from the flasher and lure also affects it.

lots of variables......LOTS!!!!

You are welcome to borrow ours sometime and see how it runs with your tackle. I made up a little chart and taped it to each rod to use for reference.