Is it worth the trip

I checked the weather for the up coming weekend and there saying wind from the north and north east. Is it worth the drive on saturday to fish. Or is that one of those stay home winds. Meaning will it blow in the warm water or cold water.

Im comin up from scranton pennsylvania and its about a 3 1/2 hr drive to fish.

I guess what im asking is. Not if it to windy but wind direction. Is it true that a north wind blows in the warm water. so the fish move out.

I made a run last year. And after hearing that the fish are there. I made a trip. It was a couple days later. But I guess a big storm blew in all this warm water. I marked 70 degree water all the way down to 100 foot. And I keeped heading north to try and find good temps. But they weren't there. Neither were the fish. I never did find any that day. No baite nothing. So it was a very expensive trip.

I don't know of anyplace to stay at oswego so I booked a room at the hotel. and fish the next morning. at 125 a nite. plus the gas for boat and truck. It gets costly.

There's one sure way to not catch any fish: Stay home. You never know unless you go! I'd do like Popeye says - keep an eye on the weather and make a decision as late in the week as you can. But there have been LOTS of days when NOAA was calling for it to be unfishable due to the wind and we were able to get out and put a hurtin' on the fish.

As for what the winds will do to the water temps, it all depends on how long, from what direction, and how hard it blows. From what I've seen about the coming week there's nothing that makes me me think that there's any real concern about the weekend. West winds should help things stabilize a little during the week and that North breeze they're calling for on Friday and Saturday looks pretty mild.

I am coming up from Kingston. This is my 3rd weekend in a row. This will also be my last for the season before I put the boat away for the year. The last 2 weekends were pretty good (only fished last Friday before those winds arrived). I understand that alot of the fish went into the river in the past few days after the big blow. My plan is to fish close to shore and then head for deeper water if they aren't hitting closer to shore. I understand that Stix hotel between Mexico and Oswego is pretty affordable. You might want to check them out. You can't catch them if you're not out on the water.

dial-a-bouy the night before. A great tool for local real time (usually) weather reports. Do a little search find the bouy of your location, call in and BAMM a real acurate weather report

1-888-701-8992, follow the prompts and enter the bouy of your location:

Oswego bouy OSGNG

Olcott OLCNG

Middle of lake north of Rochester 45012

dial-a-bouy the night before. A great tool for local real time (usually) weather reports. Do a little search find the bouy of your location, call in and BAMM a real acurate weather report

1-888-701-8992, follow the prompts and enter the bouy of your location:

Oswego bouy OSGNG

Olcott OLCNG

Middle of lake north of Rochester 45012

Oswego bouy OSGN6 or 67466