Navionics Premium Map Chip?

MarkNY

hey guys, im considering getting the navionics premium map chip for my lowrance HDS. anybody here have any experience with it? if so, how do you like it? the platinum seems a little overkill thats why im leaning towards the premium. i dont have any need for harbor photo overlays and 3D stuff in my small boat.... id appreciate any comments. mark

I have a 2004 gold and got the 2008 Premium in 2009 for $99.00 .........told the guy at BassPro I would be fishing mostly the fingerlakes and he said to save a few bucks and get last years chip for about $50.00 less...............I did......I love it .....

I've got 2 Navionics chips; the 2008 Gold charts w/ the free 'fishing chip' in my 5200 GlobalMap (can't run both @ the same time) and the 2008 Hotmap premium in my other Gps. The Hotmap premium is as close to 'dead on' as you need, very accurate on Ontario and the FLX and pretty affordable too. IMHO, The Gold charts are kind of overkill unless you are going to do a lot of navigation in unfamiliar water.

The premium chip really is all you need for the fingerlakes and ontario. Its what I would have gotten if it weren't for buying my unit at Cabelas. They have a 100 dollars off if you by platium. I could not resist. I don't think you can go wrong with the premium though and they do have them on sale at Cabelas but you probably still could get them cheaper some where online.

Mark , I don't think you can buy the fish n chip alone unless they changed some thing.

That is correct. When you buy the Gold map, you get a proof of purchase that you send in & get the 'Fish'n Chip'.

The most economical thing to do is get last years Hot Map premium @ Bass Pro (usually 80-90$). It will have all the bathymetric detail you need to entice you into losing down rigger weights while fishing tight to structure. ;) -Andy

Hey guys

As the sales manager for Navionics, please allow me to clarify. I am in town to fish but the winds. The new fish n chip is very new. You can purchase the great lakes version. The free chart was offered years ago to introduce 1 foot contours on big water. Now, it is being updated constantly. As for premium bs platinum. Everyone looks for different things. Platinum offers shallow water views like being in an airplane and looking down in addition to so much more. If you truly want contours, then fish n chip is complete. Sit on this thread. I showed Ron and the guys from Fish307 all the chips today since we could not fish. Allow them to shed their thoughts. Fish307 will be carrying them.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

hey guys, i have a lowrance HDS with lake insight. im pretty sure the mapping is navionics. it has some nice fishing information built in but the depth and contours seem to be off in most areas. do you think the navionics premium will be an upgrade to that or is it the same mapping? thanks, mark

well, i purchased the premium chip but cannot get it to work in my unit. i downloaded the latest software update from lowrance and it still wont work. frustrating to have a $150 chip just sitting there doing nothing. mark

• 1 month later...
Mark-

Did you get this straightened out?

hi chris, yes i did. i took my HDS into basspro and they put the proper update in and it worked fine after that. the chip is well worth the money, alot more accurate than my original basemap. thanks alot, mark

• 1 month later...
Mark-

Did you get this straightened out?

hi chris, yes i did. i took my HDS into basspro and they put the proper update in and it worked fine after that. the chip is well worth the money, alot more accurate than my original basemap. thanks alot, mark

Nice mark

Insight mapping on Lowrance units is not Navionics Mapping.