looking for radio information.

bob03567

I bought my boat many years ago for almost nothing so it doesn't owe me a dime. But the fiberglass antena that is on it is pealing away. (little fiberglass hairs all over the place.) So I took it off the boat.

The radio is also very very old. All dials. And Im not sure if it ever worked since I bought the boat. I tried many channels for radio checks and never got a response. I can hear people once in a while on it but thats about it.

So my question is what should I buy for the boat. Meaning the radio and antena. The boat is only an 18 footer. open bow. With a 85 horse o.b. I don't have an extreme amount of money so price is a factor.

Im not very knowledgable about the radio info at all. like what size antena. how many watts. etc. So me just buying one is a big gamble on me getting something useful for on the lake.

And talking to sales people, well thats just it. They want to make a sell on what they carry. Good or not.

The Mariner 8900 antenna has been good for my 18 footer. A friend has the 8700 and finds it satisfactory. As for the radio, try to get one that has microphone channel buttons. My feeling is that this equipment is a luxury tool when used to chit-chat, but a required safety item when in danger. Do you really want to "go cheap" for the items that might save your life and/or boat? Buy high end for this equipment, save a buck somewhere else.

IMO, the antenna is more important than the radio. All radios pretty much work, but if they cannot send or receive a signal when you need it to, they are useless.

The Shakespeare Galaxy 5225 XT is the best antenna on the market IMO, it's a little pricey, but worth every penny. I've been out of Olcott and have received from and talked to people fishing the Niagara Bar, which is 18 miles down the lake.

This is the best price I've seen on it.

http://www.boatfix.com/shop3/store/view ... roduct=873

Tim

• 1 month later...

it is probobally your antenna. If they are corroded or broken they wont work for crap or work at all. As long as the radio turns on id replace the antenna first. I am not sure but look around online but will a cb antenna for a truck work?? they look the same but i dont know.If it will work you dont need to go with a really pricey one because your not going to be pumping alot of watts through it.

• 3 months later...
it is probobally your antenna. If they are corroded or broken they wont work for crap or work at all. As long as the radio turns on id replace the antenna first. I am not sure but look around online but will a cb antenna for a truck work?? they look the same but i dont know.If it will work you dont need to go with a really pricey one because your not going to be pumping alot of watts through it.

A CB antenna will not work. CB works on a low-band frequency (27MHz) while marine VHF is on 156-157MHz. You need a marine antenna.